Kim's Reviews > Smoke and Magic

Smoke and Magic by Patti Larsen

May 05, 12

Let me preface this review by saying I am a fan of all Patti Larsen books but I must say Burdie - Patti's main character - in Smoke & Magic is fast becoming my favourite character.
Burdie is sassy, stubborn and full of attitude. She is the American teen who shakes up Victorian London.
The book is steampunk and reminds me a lot of Gail Carriger's Parasol Protectorate series. If you enjoyed that series, you will love Blood & Gold starting with Book 1 Smoke & Magic.
Patti brings Victorian London bustling with life right into your living room or bedroom, wherever you may be reading this book. You can taste, feel, see, hear the magic of Victorian London. The story is set in an older London but the writing style is completely contemporary. This book is not just a book for YA fans, it is for all readers who want to be transported to another world.
One of my favourite characters, Sassafras - the demon-boy-turned-cat - from Patti's Family Magic series returns to accompany Burdie on all of her adventures. This girl seems to look for adventure in all the wrong places and her curiosity tends to lead her into some very strange circumstances. The characters will have you laughing out loud at their antics. So, stop what you are doing, buy a copy of Smoke & Magic and be portalled into Burdie's adventures of Smoke & Magic.
This book is a Must-Read!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Smoke and Magic.