Thomas's Reviews > Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf by Jodi Picoult

2018505
Apr 04, 12

bookshelves: own-physical, lgbtq, realistic-fiction, adult-fiction
Read from March 28 to 31, 2012

Luke Warren finds it easier to live with wolves than with his own human family. His son, Edward, has resided in Thailand for the past five years after having a fight with his father, and his wife, Georgie, has divorced him. Now he only resides with his seventeen-year-old daughter, Cara. But after a devastating car accident leaves Luke comatose and Cara injured, Edward is forced to come back to the states and choose with Cara whether or not his father should be taken off life support. Edward and Cara's conflicting attitudes toward their father makes the decision difficult, and the things that they will do to get what they want could tear their family apart forever.

Staying true to her style, Picoult creates another well-written novel centered around a controversial issue that involves a tension-filled court case. I had never put much thought into life support and vegetative states before reading this book - at least not as much as I do other issues - but Picoult does a good job balancing the medical jargon with simpler terms that the average reader will understand. Her trademark skill of showing multiple sides and incorporating plenty of pathos shines in Lone Wolf once again, and I could not put this book down by the midway point.

However, this book was not as fantastic as some of her others. I did not connect to the characters as much as I wanted to, though I did care for them at a surface level. Similarly I was not enamored with the wolves, but I enjoyed how she interconnected their side of the story to that of the main characters. I caught a few minor errors - for example, on one page she writes that a character is crying for the first time in a long time, but on the page before that the character had just cried.

Though not her best book, Lone Wolf will immerse readers and most likely please fans of Picoult's other works, as well as those interested in wolves. Recommended.

*cross-posted on my blog, the quiet voice.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lone Wolf.

03/31/2012 page 214
51.0% "I don't know if Picoult made Cara so unlikable on purpose, but she's quickly climbing the mountain of my aggravation." 2 comments

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cara (new)

Cara I just have one question. Did Cara redeem herself? She better have;)

Thomas Well, she still isn't my favorite character in existence, but she did earn much more of my sympathy by the end of the book. Perhaps it's impossible to dislike someone with such an amazing name... :)

message 3: by Cara (new)

Cara Haha that's ok:) I was just curious, and I know the person makes the name and not the other way around but still I'm a dork. I forgot to say great review:)

Thomas Dorks are the best. Thanks Cara!

message 5: by Sonia (last edited Apr 10, 2012 01:27AM) (new)

Sonia Great review! This reminds me that I have bought House Rules but haven't read them. Gotta read it when I have spare time. :-)

Thomas Thank you Sonia! Yes, I strongly encourage you to read it at your next available moment. :)