Thomas's Reviews > Deadline

2018505
Apr 09, 12

bookshelves: science-fiction, dystopia, adult-fiction
Read from April 04 to 08, 2012

“I just find it interesting that kids apparently used to cry when Bambi's mother died. George and I both held our breaths, and then cheered when she didn't reanimate and try to eat her son.”

Who needs to study when you have a book containing zombies and corruption and cloning to read? Not me!

Well, actually, I do need to. But instead of studying, I spent all of yesterday reading Deadline by Mira Grant! Someone shower me with sympathy, because I'll definitely need some of it after failing staying up past midnight to study for my exams.

Anyway, back to Deadline. It is the sequel to Grant's Feed, and it continues the story with Shaun Mason as our narrator. The plot is difficult to summarize without spoiling Feed, so just know that Shaun is out for blood in this book as he leads his motley group of bloggers to take down another conspiracy - this time, involving the CDC.

Although this book did not blow me away emotionally like Feed did, it was similar in that it possessed an intricate plot that was well-paced and had no holes besides the ones that were supposed to be there. There was an adrenaline-inducing amount of urgency, and Deadline held me on the edge of my figurative seat almost the entire time I was reading it.

While I preferred George as the main protagonist, Shaun still endeared himself to me in his violent/emotionally unstable/crazy sort of way. I came to love the side characters in Deadline, especially the amazing Asian Newsie, Alaric Kwong, and the affluent and abnormal Fictional, Maggie.

If you read and loved Feed, you need to catch a copy of Deadline as soon as possible! I cannot wait for Blackout, in which all of my burning questions will hopefully be answered.

*review cross-posted from my blog, the quiet voice.
13 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Deadline.

Wendy Darling Ah, I really liked Alaric, too. I'm glad you enjoyed it, Thomas! Even if it was at the expense of your studying, hah.

Thomas Thanks Wendy! Your reviews (of Feed and Deadline) played a part in my choice to read the series. I exaggerated a bit because I have the rest of today to study too, so, I'll be fine. :)

Wendy Darling Oh well, good! (view spoiler) :D

message 4: by Cara (new)

Cara Hey don't worry about it Thomas. I do this *ahem* more than I'd like to admit but I somehow manage usually;)

Laura Zombies before studying Thomas—come on! Everyone knows that! ;) I’m counting & wishing the days away until Blackout! So glad you will be counting down with me! :D

Thomas Ha ha, thanks for supporting my wise study habits everyone! And Laura, yes, thank you for accepting me into the club. ;)

message 7: by Sonia (last edited Apr 10, 2012 01:32AM) (new)

Sonia I completely understand. Who can resist the temptation of reading? ;-)Great review, Thomas. I have to pick up Feed soon, probably right before Blackout hits the shelf. So, I do not have to wait that long. And best of luck with your exams! :-)

Thomas Good plan, it is nice when you don't have to wait for the sequels of books in a series to come out. I can't wait to hear your thoughts on these books when you read them. And thank you Sonia, I'll try my hardest!

message 9: by Richard (new)

Richard Love the quote about Bambi! Hope your exams went well after all.

Thomas Isn't it great? And I've received some of my scores, they did go decently!

message 11: by Richard (new)

Richard Thomas wrote: "Isn't it great? And I've received some of my scores, they did go decently!"

That's good to hear!

Rebecca Skane I thought that was hilarious too! The cheering when Bambi's mother died. Freaking awesome.

Thomas Grant definitely infused humor throughout this series, even amidst its most terrifying moments. Freaking awesome indeed.