David Fox's Reviews > Diary

bookshelves: reviewed, owned-books
Recommended for: Plaahniuk fans
Read from April 14 to 19, 2012 — I own a copy, read count: 1

Obituary

Look, there's no denying it, Mr. Palahniuk writes weird books. Anyone who has read or seen or heard about Fight Club or Choke would not dispute this fact. His plot lines occur in a surreal world, sometimes mirroring a subconsciously filtered nightmare masquerading as reality based. Other times he plumbs the depths of fringe subcultures bubbling in a frothy stew of low life encountering depraved. In Diary, he leads us on a bizarre journey involving disappearing rooms, supernatural driven artistic genius, murder, yes, lots of murder & an island community straight out of an early Stephen King novel. Each night that I finished reading a new piece I found myself shuddering with revulsion as I closed the book & placed it back on the shelf. I felt slightly unclean. It was like I was witnessing something nasty, not fiction, but all too real. I will not share now just how real or not this story is - why ruin the ride. However, please note the title of my review & beware - this could be your own. Or, maybe not. Who knows. One thing for sure, in the hands of Mr. Palahniuk, anything is possible.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Diary.