Jenn's Reviews > Enraptured

bookshelves: e-book, own, review-written
Read in March, 2012

RECEIVED FROM: Net Galley For Review

***NOTE MY REVIEWS OFTEN CONTAIN SPOILERS***

Skyla is a siren, one of Zeus’s assassins, trained by Athena to eliminate mortals the king of the gods sees as a threat. Her latest assignment is a Argolean –daemon hybrid – Orpheus. What she doesn’t expect is to be wildly attracted to her target and when she decides to pursue a little pleasure with her work she reveals a truth that rocks her to her core. Orpheus isn’t a stranger; he’s the reincarnation of the only man she ever loved and the one whose betrayal has shaped her entire life. Orpheus needs to find Maelea, the daughter of Zeus and Persephone and the only god who can locate the Orb of Kronos. The Orb that currently resides with Apophos the wizard who’s stolen his brother’s body. Without it he has no chance of saving Gryphon and he won’t rest until he can right the wrong that was done to his brother. It doesn’t matter that he’s never felt attraction like he’s had with the Siren sent to eliminate him, he won’t let her stand between him and his goal. With dangers and secrets surrounding them will they ever see eye to eye or will their conflicting goals end up killing them both?

This story starts up three months after the previous novel and while it does become a fairly excellent novel in later chapters the beginning took me a lot longer to get into than any of the other titles. I did debate a little on my rating, but I just didn’t feel it was as good as the first three novels and therefore couldn’t give it as high of a rating as I did those. In her previous works Naughton has given us a lot more than just a love story and while she does so here, it’s not as much as she did in the first three. Before we had almost as many scenes with other characters as we did with the romantic leads, here we get some scenes with other characters but we spend more time with the romantic leads than anything else. She also has a lot more sex scenes in this book than she did in previous works and it’s not that I’m a prude but I don’t need a sex scene within the first few chapters. And I have issues when writers start to fall back on sex to sell their work, especially when Naughton has shown a talent for so much more in her other novels. The sex scenes in this novel were both longer and more frequent than they’ve been in other works. The thing is I’m an escapist reader, and while a racy sex scene in a romance can be great, anyone can have sex, however not just anyone can face down a Greek God or fight off a daemon. I’d rather have read more about the other goings on in Argolea or the colony or any number of places than sat there reading some of the longer sex scenes. I can escape more into a novel when I’m not reading about something I could just as easily be doing. The book isn’t solely sex or romance by any means it just relies on those scenes a lot more than her previous works did and therefore left me a little disappointed in that. While Naughton does spend some time building other mythologies and players for this world in the beginning, it’s not until about a hundred pages in that we start seeing characters we’ve grown to care about over the course of the series and that’s another thing that bothered me about this book. Even when we do see them Isadora is the only Horae who isn’t just a background character in this novel and even her scenes are few and far between. The new mythologies Naughton’s building with this book are really interesting, but I would have liked it more if she’d continued with the ones she had been building as well, meaning that in other novels from the very beginning we switched between the love story of the characters and the different political things in Argolea. We always saw a lot of the other characters even though they weren’t the focus of the story. Demetrius gets a lot of play in later scenes like Isadora does, and we do see a lot of Gryphon from the very beginning leading me to believe he’s probably going to be the focus of the next story. My guess it Gryphon and Maelea are destined, but then again that’s just a guess because both of these characters have had so much development in this story that it would be a waste for them not become a focus romantic lead in a later novel. The story is fairly fast paced even without it’s normal charm, but I guess what made it harder for me to get into it was I expecting to have more time with the characters we know like we did in the other novels and this one just didn’t have it because it spent more time on the romance, the sex and developing new mythologies to fit in with the story line. About half way in the story finally really hooked me and I couldn’t stop turning pages, but then again that was also about the time they brought in the familiar characters again. However it wasn’t just the familiar characters that gripped me. The sirens, the reincarnated souls and the underworld were all exciting and gripping storylines. Overall the plot was really good, it was just a little different from previous series works which might make fans have a little more trouble getting into it, should they continue reading despite this they will be rewarded with a highly entertaining close third person story.

Naughton has repeatedly been excellent with character development. Like in other novels she does rely on previous works for some characterization, this one more so than others. The only reoccurring characters that really showed new development in this novel were Orpheus, Lachesis, Hades, and Gryphon. The others did behave in the manners we’ve come to recognize, but time wasn’t spend really shaping their characters in this story and it mostly relied on previous works for you to know how they should behave and why they did so. Orpheus has been a major character in the series since the first novel and he’s always been interesting because you never know what he’s going to do. He’s got such a dark side and while he claims to be only out for himself there’s so much more to him than that. Getting inside this character, understanding his motives and watching him grow as a character was definitely a treat for readers of the series, or at least this one. Skyla as the female lead was of course extremely well developed and as Orpheus’s match had to be just as interesting and multifaceted as her male counterpart. She also brings a whole new mythology to the table which adds to the interest of this battered yet strong female lead. While Atalanta did have a few scenes, Hades kind of took over her villain role in this novel. Normally we’d get a lot of insight into her cruelty and depravity. This time we saw Hades’ depravity instead and I gotta say I think Atalanta might be the nicer of the two. Naughton also splits with the normal mythologies of the Underworld when she delves further into Hades and Lachesis. Normally Hades is portrayed as having control over the whole of the Underworld, but in Naughton’s works the Titan’s have their own little city that Hades can’t touch and the Fates oversee the Isle of the Blessed so that was kind of interesting as well. Gryphon’s development was a little disturbing but understandable. Instead of the easy going hero we’ve seen in previous works we watched a hero be broken by depravity, torture and pain. We watched him lose himself and I can’t help but hope that in future novels we’ll also see him heal and redeem himself. Maelea, one of the newly introduced characters was extremely well developed as well and she’s proving to a very intriguing character that I can’t wait to learn more about. Other introductions such as Athena, Zeus, Atropos, Kronos, and the other Sirens weren’t as well developed but they were distinguishable, meaning they didn’t all blend into stereotypical background characters, but at the same time we didn’t really get to know them yet. Overall while I’d have liked to have seen more with the reoccurring characters, the characterization of this novel was still very good.

I would definitely recommend the novel to readers of paranormal romance and I feel fans of the series will definitely enjoy this installment. I really did like the novel, I just didn’t feel it was as good as its predecessors. However with the new mythologies Naughton has weaved in to the storyline with this tale the series definitely promises some very interesting twists in works to come.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Enraptured.