Jessi's Reviews > No Words Alone

No Words Alone by Autumn Dawn

Mar 18, 12

bookshelves: fantasy-romance
Read in March, 2012

I found Xera, the heroine in No Words Alone, refreshing. I love the romance genre, but sometimes the tension is kept high by having the heroine make massively inaccurate assumptions and then making boneheaded decisions based on those assumptions. In No Words Alone, Xera was intelligent, curious about the alien race she encouters (the Scorpio) as any interpreter would be, and sensitive to their differences. She had some very understandable insecurities when faced with a relationship with a Scorpio man, but she (or rather Autumn Dawn) did not succumb to the temptation to inflate tension by having Xera value those insecurities over good sense. While there were some slow moments for me (reason for 4 stars instead of 5), I would describe the pace of the novel as leisurely rather than boring. Xera's sight-seeing of the Scorpio world lacked the kind of fast-paced tension that marks the paranormal/sci-fi romance genres right now, but the high-conflict beginning and ending made up for the slightly slower pacing of the middle. Overall, I enjoyed Xera's journey and found No Words Alone a very rewarding read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read No Words Alone.