Beth Dean's Reviews > Vogue Model: The Faces of Fashion

Vogue Model by Robin Derrick

Jun 08, 13

bookshelves: biography, fashion, non-fiction
Read from May 17 to 24, 2013 — I own a copy, read count: 1.

This is an utmost necessity for anyone who has any interest on any level in fashion or in fact photography. Since any good model is nothing without a photographer with matching skill the
photographers are given good credit too. The greats such as Cecil Beaton and Tim Walker crop up regularly and the book really does go into detail about the behind the camera stuff which makes the picture come about. This all sounds deathly boring to anyone who isn't interested but it captivated me.

The Biographies - Not a butt-kissing drawn-out over the top list of of every reason why each model is brilliant. Up to now I thought models were spoilt rich pretty toys that lovely though they may be they're like THE toy to buy at christmas. Once you've had it for about a month you're done, it loses it shine and you move on. Models, I thought, were the Tamagotchi's of the fashion world.
But no! They climb mountains, skydive, run farms, marry

princes, become movie stars and run off to Caribbean islands with a surfer to run a bar. Crazy what these models do in their spare time. But then again crazy is what a lot of them are, Something that came up again and again was weird and wonderful quirks that models had which leads me onto......

The Insecurities- Turns out even models do have 'em. Anne Gunning for example had big hands, well so she thought and had such an issue she never brought unnecessary attention to them. Strange isn't it? Especially when airbrushing would have us believe that there is literally no imperfections. THERE ARE ,Thank the lord. I feel much less guilty eating this doughnut as I type.

The Photos- Gorgeous of course. In full technicolour(when possible) in such a large format you couldn't ask for more. The picks are exactly the ones that I thought worked, some models get a couple more than others. Mostly the ones that made the biggest impact in the fashion industry like Claudia Schiffer and Naomi Campbell.

To wrap it all up this is a gorgeous collection of the top models that you need to know to truly know the fashion industry. So well researched and so beautifully done that you just have to treasure it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Vogue Model.

05/17/2013 marked as: currently-reading