Kristyn's Reviews > The Invention of Hugo Cabret

The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick

Aug 08, 08

bookshelves: currently-reading

I'm loving this book so far. Not at all what I expected, although I'm not sure what I expected. I want to read this one together with my kids, when they get home for fall.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Invention of Hugo Cabret.

Sheri I loved this book after the SLC B.E.R. conference recommended it to teachers and just before it received a Caldecott Medal. Thanks for your help at the Wheelchair Conference at the Salt Lake City Library in July, too.
Sheri Rad

message 2: by Kristyn (new) - added it

Kristyn Thanks Sheri! I think this is the perfect book for kids who are just delving into chapter books, and would be drawn deeper into the story with Selznik's illustrations. I think my nine-year-old will enjoy it very much. BTW - I have to admit that when it was announced as the Caldecott winner I had never even HEARD of it. Huh? When I did see it, the thickness and its cover weren't immediately appealing. Like I said...the book isn't what I expected!

I had the opportunity to see Brian Selznik receive the Caldecott award, live. He wore a sparkly (I think it was purple) coat. When I say sparkly, I mean blinding. He gave a marvelous speech.