Stephanie's Reviews > Partials

Partials by Dan Wells

Mar 18, 2012

bookshelves: apocalypse, dystopia, high-school, plague, sci-fi, ya

he population of the world has been more than decimated. Ninety-nine percent of the human population is dead. That isn't even the worst part. All babies that are born die within days of the same virus that took the rest of the population. The youngest human is now 14 years old. Kira is a 16 year old medic who is gifted at research. She feels compelled to try anything to discover a real cure for the virus. The government's plan is to amend the Hope Act. The Hope Act requires all females to get pregnant as quickly and as often as possible in hopes that eventually a baby will be born immune. In the 11 years since the beginning of the Hope Act it hasn't happened once. All babies die and the human race is staring extinction in the face.

I loved, loved this book! I stayed up late two nights in a a row because I wanted to keep reading. The pace is perfect: plenty of action without being repetitive. I've read plenty of post-apocalyptic fiction but the concept of no healthy babies being born is terrific fiction. What better motivator could there be? Trying to fix that one problem would be worth sacrificing anything.
Kira is a fantastic character. Very strong and determined. Her friends are great characters too. They're willing to help her and they still have all their own personalities.
The story does have one or two plot holes but they don't distract too much from the story. And actually, I'm pretty sure one of them is just setting up for the sequel. I will definitely be looking out for that sequel.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Partials.