Alan Wood's Reviews > Eleanor Rigby

Eleanor Rigby by Douglas Coupland

Apr 12, 12

Read from March 18 to 24, 2012

It had all the hallmarks of a serialisation in a woman's mag - Lonely single, overweight, middle age woman, dead end job, finds long lost son blah blah. Normally a book I'd never touch with a barge pole, however, with a passing reference to the Hale-Bopp comet, I thought something sounded a bit off kilter about this novel, so I bought it, read it and wasn't disappointed at all.

I hadn't read any Coupland since Microserfs in the 90's, not even Generation X (I know - somebody shooooot me!), before picking up Eleanor Rigby, and had no real pre-conceptions - and it might be a Coupland trait, I don't know - I haven't read enough of his stuff - but the characters here are well rounded, and the plot throws in enough sidewinders (like nearly being hit by a piece of enriched uranium from a soviet satellite!) to keep your head from hitting the pages with a thump, as would normally be the case with a book about love, life and lonelinesszzzzz. He makes beautifully acerbic observations on life... that it's probably 99% drudge, duty and loneliness and 1% surreal divine comedy (without the God bit). And it's that bit that keeps you ticking over.

Nice easy read page turner for an insomniac such as myself too. Will definitely be picking up more of his stuff in the future.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Eleanor Rigby.