Samantha Meyer's Reviews > Rules

Rules by Cynthia Lord

F 50x66
Mar 18, 12

bookshelves: eced-221

Rules by Cynthia Lord is about a girl named Catherine and her brother David who has Autism. Catherine does not always like living in the world of special needs but she is surprised when she becomes friends with a boy named Jason who also has special needs. This story is about Catherine and how much she grows over one particular where her world filled with rules gets turned upside down. She even ends up breaking her own rules.
I really enjoyed this story first and foremost because it is so realistic. There are tons of stories about children with autism and other special needs but there aren't very many about their siblings. Rules gives a very different perspective about autism and the struggles you fave when dealing with someone who has it. The characters were well developed because they were actually based on real people which makes them more believable still. The plot was simple and easy to relate to. It was simply about a girl and how she spends her summer without her best friend. Anyone can relate to that right? What really makes it different however, is how much she has to think about her brother at all times. I loved the story line and how much I could relate to the characters.
This book has many implications and uses for me as a teacher. This can be used in a classroom setting to show students the challenges people with disabilities face. It also gives the unique perspective of a child whose sibling has special needs. I loved reading it and I think my students will be able to relate to the characters very well.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rules.