Rebecca Gober's Reviews > Ember

Ember by Madison Daniel

Mar 25, 12

Read from March 18 to 24, 2012

How HOT was this book? Burning hot! I have been following Madison Daniel on his Facebook page for several months. He's an extremely active author who connects with his fans and seems super down to earth. His passion for music and the written word really got to me. After watching the book trailer (which I highly recommend you do) and seeing the reveal of Ember's cover I knew I wanted to get my hands on this book as quickly as possible. I read Ember in less than a week and encountered a few sleepless nights in the process. I can always tell that I like a book when I really don't want to see it end. That's how it was for me with Ember.

One of the coolest things about Ember is that it was written with it's own playlist that is meant to be listened to while you read the story. (I literally was just talking to my friend about how cool it would be to have a playlist attached to a book. So when I saw that this was done with Ember, I was like: Wow! Rock on!)

In Ember we follow Max Valentine (what a rocking cool name), a senior with a rough past and a burning hot secret. Max is sent to live in Hawaii with his Uncle after his father passes away. In Hawaii, Max finds himself the target of one very evil bully after he falls for the 'girl next door' Samantha Summers. (Another cool name might I add.) To make matters worse Max also develops complicated feelings for the mysterious, smoking hot, Asia Michaels. How is Max supposed to decide between one girl who could very well be his soul mate and another girl who ignites the fires within him? One things for sure, he can't have them both and he soon finds this out the hard way. Max's indecision ignites a flame so hot that no matter what, somebody is going to get hurt.

I know what you are thinking now, love triangle, it's SO been done before. Well this was not your normal love triangle! First, this has one guy and two girls, quite the opposite of what we see in most books. Second, this book had me actually routing for Asia one minute then for Sam the next. Normally I have a clear cut character who I route for. I couldn't find a way to be Team Asia or Team Sam in this book. Oddly enough, I wanted him to have both. Sick? Yes, but when you read it you will understand.

Also, I need to add that I usually don't read books where the main character is drawn from the male's point of view. I connect more with female characters, probably because I'm female, go figure. Anyhow, I kind of thought I wouldn't enjoy reading from the guy's point of view that much. I was pleasantly surprised! It was kind of fun to be inside a guys head and think like a guy does for a change.

I highly recommend Ember! (Obviously, since I gave it 5 stars.)

WARNING!!!: Ember has an explosive ending that leaves off to a great start for the next book in the series DOWNPOUR. Be for-warned that after reading this you will be tapping your fingers against the table and impatiently awaiting it's upcoming release. If you hate waiting for sequels to release (like me), then too bad! You still need to read this ASAP and just consider it a great way to practice your patience. :D

PS: This book is probably best for 16 and up as there are minor sexual references. (Nothing graphic by any means, which I was really thankful for! If you've read some of my other reviews, you know how I feel about graphic sex scenes in teen books, so I was really glad this didn't have that.) I LOVE that the language was kept clean (books so don't need all of that in there for them to be entertaining) and that underage drinking was frowned upon. Way to write Madison! :D
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ember.

03/22/2012 "Wow, this book is kept me up last night. Madison Daniel did an amazing job describing a very emotional event and he had me grabbing for the Kleenex! I will have a more detailed review when I finish. But I already know right now that this is a 5 star baby. :D"