Jessica's Reviews > The Cavendish Home for Boys and Girls

The Cavendish Home for Boys and Girls by Claire Legrand

Sep 05, 2012

bookshelves: ya, 2012
Read from July 24 to August 06, 2012

When Victoria’s best friend Lawrence disappears, she decides to investigate and discovers something amiss at the local orphans’ home. First of all, I adored Victoria, who is a controlling little perfectionist likes things just so and has a horror of getting a B. To be honest, she reminds me a bit of my insufferable younger self, though I wasn’t as awesome and fierce. Second, the atmosphere is deliciously spooky: the Cavendish home is a place full of horrors like stinging creepy-crawlies and mystery meat and the cruel Mrs. Cavendish, who reads like a cross between the Other Mother from Coraline and awful Professor Umbridge. Honestly, I tend to get bored by middle-grade books (I really like kissing scenes, okay?), but I couldn’t put this down! Recommend! (read via Apocalypsies ARC tour; out now!)
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Cavendish Home for Boys and Girls.

07/26/2012 "Loving this book! It reminds me of CORALINE in the best possible way."

Michelle (FabBookReviews) Yes about Professor Umbridge! That is exactly who I thought of. Such despicable creations that really got under my skin. This was a great read!