Sara's Reviews > By a Thread

Mar 18, 12

bookshelves: 5-stars
Read in February, 2012

Plot: 5 Stars
I feel like a broken record, but I absolutely loved this novel. Although she was supposed to be relaxing and enjoying her vacation, Gin ended up getting into yet another dire situation that left me wondering how she'd make it out alive. Gin always surprises me with the situations she gets in, and then the lengths she must go to to get out of said situations. The author does a great job of putting her in mortal peril, while keeping her escapes completely believable.

Pace: 4.5 Stars
This novel started out with a bang, as Gin takes care of another threat that dropped by the Pork Pit after hours. She finally gives in to Finn's idea of a vacation. Of course, it wouldn't be a vacation for Gin if it didn't involve at least a little bit of killing. I loved how quickly she became involved in the local mob boss problems without even trying. There were a number of times I had to remind myself that Gin would make it (book seven comes out in August), because I wasn't sure she would and I couldn't put the book down.

Characters: 5 Stars
The strong characters and relationships were the best part of this installment in the series. Not only did we get to see more of Gin, Finn, Bria, and Owen, but there were new characters and someone from Gin's past. Gin gets to meet Bria's best friend, Callie, who also owns her own restaurant. After a meal at the restaurant, Gin and company get dragged into the local mob boss' politics when he sends some goons to threaten Callie. And then Donovan makes an appearance. I enjoyed reading as Gin dealt with the reappearance of Donovan, and how she dealt with him. The mob boss of Blue Marsh was a crazy S.O.B. and definitely made for an eventful vacation.

Cover: 5 Stars
This series is totally blessed by the cover gods. Each stands out in its own way, but they all work together and look fantastic on my bookshelf. The bright green of this cover grabs the eye, and also depicts the setting of the novel very well. My favorite part of the cover is how the cover model's jeans fade into the green of the background, but her blue tank top stands out. I'm not sure if I'd be running around in those heels if I was killing people, but they make the model seem like a badass (even without the knife on her belt). I also really enjoy that the cover model is facing forward completely, showing off the rune in her palm, as if to say, "Yeah, I'm the Spider. What are you gonna do about it?" And lastly, I will always enjoy the font choices of this series.

Overall: 5 Stars

Disclosure: I received an e-ARC of this novel for review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read By a Thread.