Emily's Reviews > The Scorpio Races

The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater

Mar 18, 2012

bookshelves: audio, fantasy, love-story, outside-u-s-a, printz, ya-fiction, animals
Read in March, 2012

Why I picked it up: I tried to read the first of Stiefvater's Shiver trilogy and couldn't get into it, so I wanted to try something else of hers. It is also the March book for my bookclub at work and a Printz honor winner.

The isle of Thisby is a harsh place, with not a lot of residents and even less opportunity. But every November, the tourists come for the Scorpio Races, a beach race of the vicious and carnivorous water horses. This year, 2 young locals are among the contestants, and they both have very strong reasons for needing to win the race that not everyone survives.

I loved it. This is a very atmospheric book; I really wanted to visit Thisby, though not when the horses were coming inland! I was transported there in a way I haven't been in a book in a long time. I also thought the love story was one of the sweetest and most genuine I've read and just really liked that it wasn't really the main focus of the book but it was important to the characters main characters without being all consuming for them. I also found myself loving the name Sean Kendrick, as much as the fact that I liked a character name sounds like a funny thing to really like about a book. I was frustrated that I didn't know what time period I was in. It didn't feel present day, but I had no idea if it was historical and if so, how far back.

A note on the audio: I think I liked it more because I listened to it. There were some unfamiliar words and I'm glad I didn't have to figure out how to pronounce them. There were 2 different narrators, one for Puck and one for Sean Kendrick, and they had voices that felt very true to the characters. It is a bit of a slow-moving book, and I think those can be easier on audio. There is music at the beginning and the end of the reading and the music was composed and performed by the author, which is particularly cool. There is also a bit of the author talking about the book at the end, which I always like.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Scorpio Races.

Roxan He-he. I like the name Sean Kendrick as well. :)

Kristy Your thoughts on the book are very similar to mine. I too listened to the book, and I'm not sure I would've stuck with the rather slow-moving story to the end had I not been listening to it on audio. I agree that the narrators were spot on in capturing the voices of Puck and Sean Kendrick. I also was curious about the time period, but I'm fine with not knowing. I feel that when authors include a fantastical element, they oftentimes tend to be vague or illusive in regards to the period that the books is set. Anyway, I enjoy reading your reviews!