Poshka Halawany's Reviews > The Zahir

The Zahir by Paulo Coelho

Mar 18, 2012

bookshelves: favorites
Read in March, 2012

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Zahir.

Quotes Poshka Liked

Paulo Coelho
“If you're a nobody, if your work has no impact, then it deserves to be praised. If, however, you climb out of that state of mediocrity and are a success, then your defying 'the law' and deserve to be punished.”

Paulo Coelho
“Up until then, whenever anyone had mentioned the possibility of making a film adaptation, my answer had always been, ‘No, I’m not interested.’ I believe that each reader creates his own film inside his head, gives faces to the characters, constructs every scene, hears the voices, smells the smells. And that is why, whenever a reader goes to see a film based on a novel that he likes, he leaves feeling disappointed, saying: ‘the book is so much better than the film.”

Paulo Coelho
“It's not my story anymore: whenever I speak about the past now, I feel as if I were talking about something that has nothing to do with me. All that remains in the present are the voice, the presence, and the importance of fulfilling my mission. I don't regret difficulties I experienced; I think they helped me to become the person I am today, I feel the way a warrior must feel after years of training; he doesn't remember the details of everything he learned, but he knows how to strike when the time is right.”
tags: life

Paulo Coelho
“When someone leaves, it's because someone else is about to arrive.”

Paulo Coelho
“Our true friends are those who are with us when the good things happen. They cheer us on and are pleased by our triumphs. False friends only appear at difficult times, with their sad, supportive faces, when, in fact, our suffering is serving to console them for their miserable lives.”

Paulo Coelho
“No one should ever ask themselves that: why am I unhappy? The question carries within it the virus that will destroy everything. If we ask that question, it means we want to find out what makes us happy. If what makes us happy is different from what we have now, then we must either change once and for all or stay as we are, feeling even more unhappy.”

Paulo Coelho
“Ester asked why people are sad.
"That’s simple," says the old man. "They are the prisoners of their personal history. Everyone believes that the main aim in life is to follow a plan. They never ask if that plan is theirs or if it was created by another person. They accumulate experiences, memories, things, other people's ideas, and it is more than they can possibly cope with. And that is why they forget their dreams.”

Paulo Coelho
“All you have to do is to pay attention; lessons always arrive when you are ready, and if you can read the signs, you will learn everything you need to know in order to take the next step”

Paulo Coelho
“Esther, however, was the only woman who understood one very simple thing: in order to be able to find her, I first had to find myself.”

Paulo Coelho
“Marie, let’s suppose that two firemen go into a forest to put out a small fire. Afterwards, when they emerge and go over to a stream, the face of one is all smeared with black, while the other man’s face is completely clean. My question is this: which of the two will wash his face?

That’s a silly question. The one with the dirty face of course.’

No, the one with the dirty face will look at the other man and assume that he looks like him. And, vice versa, the man with the clean face will see his colleague covered in grime and say to himself: I must be dirty too. I’d better have a wash.’

What are you trying to say?’

I’m saying that, during the time I spent in the hospital, I came to realize that I was always looking for myself in the women I loved. I looked at their lovely, clean faces and saw myself reflected in them. They, on the other hand, looked at me and saw the dirt on my face and, however intelligent or self-confident they were, they ended up seeing themselves reflected in me thinking that they were worse than they were. Please, don’t let that happen to you.”

Paulo Coelho
“The wise are wise only because they love. And the foolish are foolish only because they think they can understand love.”

Paulo Coelho
“Writing is one of the most solitary activities in the world.”

Paulo Coelho
“what the eye doesn't see, the heart doesn't grieve over”

Paulo Coelho
“if a book isn't self-explanatory, then it isn't worth reading.”

Paulo Coelho
“The taste of things recovered is the sweetest honey we will ever know.”

Paulo Coelho
“Freedom continues to be the thing I prize most in the world. Of course, this has led me to drink wines I did not like, to do things I should not have done and which I will not do again; it has left scars on my body and on my soul, it has meant hurting certain people, although I have since asked their forgiveness, when I realized that I could do absolutely anything except force another person to follow me in my madness, in my lust for life. I don’t regret the painful times; I bear my scars like medals. I know that freedom has a high price, as high as that of slavery; the only difference is that you pay with pleasure and a smile, even when that smile is dimmed by tears.”

Paulo Coelho
“ثمن الحرية باهظ، أسوة بثمن العبودية; الفرق الوحيد بينهما أنك في الحالة الأولى تسدد الثمن بلّذة، بابتسامة، حتى عندما توشّحها الدموع”

Paulo Coelho
“لما ازداد جمال مايحيط بي، ازددت شعورا بالتعاسة”

Paulo Coelho
“مالوفاء؟ الشعور بأنني أمتلك روحا وجسدا ليسا لي؟”

Paulo Coelho
“كلّ ماعليك فعله هو الانتباه، تأتي العبر دوما عندما تكون على استعداد، واذا تمكنت من قراءة الاشارات، سوف تتعلم كل ماتحتاج إلى معرفته لكي تخطو الخطوة التالية.
نحن البشر نعاني مشكلتين كبيرتين: الاولى أن نعرف متى نبدأ، والثانية أن نعرف متى نتوقف”

Paulo Coelho
“طوبى للذين لا يخشون الاقرار بما يجهلون”

Paulo Coelho
“طعم الأشياء المستردة هو الألذّ والأطيب”

“هل تعلم ما الأمر الذي يمنح المرأة اللذة الكبرى في الزواج؟
- الجنس.
- خطأ، اعداد الطعام. مشاهدة زوجها يأكل. إنها لحظة ممجدة بنظر المرأة، لأنها تقضي نهارها بأكمله تفكر في العشاء”

Paulo Coelho
“إنا كانت المعاناة حاصلة، فمن الأفضل تقبلها، لانها لن تزول بمجرد انكارك لها. إذا كان الفرح حاضرا، فمن الأفضل تقبله أيضا حتى وان خشيت أن يزول يوماً ما”

Paulo Coelho
“الكاتدرائية هي أنا،هي نحن كلنا. كلنا نكبر ويتغيّر شكلنا، نلاحظ بعض نقاط الضعف التي يجب تلافيها، ولانختار الحل الأفضل دوما، لكننا نمضي غير آبهين، محاولين البقاء بأنفة واحترام، إجلالا لما هو أبعد من الجدران أو الابواب أو النوافذ، انّه الحيّز الفارغ فينا، حيث نعبد ونجلّ الأغلى والأهمّ لنا”

“مات وهو لا يزال حياً.
قد تبدو هذه الألفاظ متناقضة، لكنني عرفت العديد من الناس الذين كفّوا عن العيش، مع انهم واصلوا العمل والأكل والانخراط في نشاطاتهم الاجتماعية المعتادة. فعلوا كل شيء تلقائياً، غافلين عن اللحظة السحرية التي يحملها كل يوم معه. لم يتوقفوا يوماً للتفكير في معجزة الحياة، لم يفهموا يوماً أن اللحظة التالية قد تكون الأخيرة على وجه الأرض”

Paulo Coelho
“Free again, but it's just a feeling; freedom is not the absence of commitments, but the ability to choose - and commit yourself to what is best for you.”

Paulo Coelho
“When I had nothing more to lose, I was given everything. When I ceased to be who I am, I found myself. When I experienced humiliation and yet kept on walking, I understood that I was free to choose my destiny. Perhaps there's something wrong with me, I don't know, perhaps my marriage was a dream I couldn't understand while it lasted. All I know is that even though I can live without her, I would still like to see her again, to say what I never said when we were together: I love you more than I love myself. If I could say that, then I could go on living, at peace with myself, because that love has redeemed me.”

Paulo Coelho
“Some people appear to be happy, but they simply don't give the matter much thought. Others make plans: I'm going to have a husband, a home, two children, a house in the country. As long as they're busy doing that, they're like bulls looking for the bullfighter: they react instinctively, they blunder on, with no idea where the target is. They get their car, sometimes they even get a Ferrari, and they think that's the meaning of life, and they never question it. Yet their eyes betray the sadness that even they don't know they carry in their soul. Are you happy?”

Paulo Coelho
“I must try to enjoy all the graces that God has given me today. Grace cannot be hoarded. There are no banks where it can be deposited to be used when I feel more at peace with myself. If I do not make full use of these blessings, I will lose them forever.

God knows that we are all artists of life. One day, he gives us a hammer with which to make sculptures, another day he gives us brushes and paints with which to make a picture, or paper and a pencil to write with. But you cannot make a painting with a hammer, or a sculpture with a paintbrush. Therefore, however difficult it may be, I must accept today's small blessings, even if they seem like curses because I am suffering and it's a beautiful day, the sun is shining, and the children are singing in the street. This is the only way I will manage to leave my pain behind and rebuild my life.”

Paulo Coelho
“عندمــا لــم يبـق لي ما أخسره ، أعطيت كل شئ . عندما كففت عن كوني نفسي ، وجدتها . وعندما خبرت الذلّ وبقيت أمضي ، أدركت أنني حُـرّ في اختيار قدري . لعل بى خطبا ., لا ادرى , لعل زواجى لم افهمه عندما عشته . ما اعرفه هو ان بامكانى العيش من دونها , لا ازال اود رؤيتها مجددا , لاقول لها ما لم اتفوه به عندما كنا معا : احبك اكثر من حبى لنفسى ولو امكننى قول ذلك , لتمكنت عندها من المضى فى حياتى , بسلام مع روحى , لان ذلك الحب افتدانى”

Paulo Coelho
“For a while, I'll think obsessively about her, I'll become embittered, I'll bore my friend because all I ever talk about is my wife leaving me. I'll try to justify what happened, spend days and nights reviewing every moment spent by her side, I'll conclude that she was too hard on me, even though I always tried to do my best. I'll find other women. When I walk down the street, I'll keep seeing women who could be her. I'll suffer day and night, night and day. This could take weeks, months, possibly a year or more... Until one morning, I'll wake up and find I'm thinking about something else, and then I'll know the worst is over. My heart might be bruised, but it will recover and became capable of seeing the beauty of life once more. It's happened before, it will happen again, I'm sure. When someone leaves, it's because someone else is about to arrive--I'll find love again.”

Paulo Coelho
“We could go back to the time when we first met: a man in emotional tatters over someone who had left him, and a woman madly in love with her neighbor. I could repeat what I said to you once: 'I'm going to fight to the bitter end.' Well, I fought and I lost, and now I'll just have to lick my wounds and leave.”

Paulo Coelho
“Love is a disease no one wants to get rid of. Those who catch it never try to get better, and those who suffer do not wish to be cured.”

Paulo Coelho
“That is why it is so important to let certain things go. To release them. To cut loose. People need to understand that no one is playing with marked cards; sometimes we win and sometimes we lose. Don't expect to get anything back, don't expect recognition for your efforts, don't expect your genius to be discovered or your love to be understood. Complete the circle. Not out of pride, inability or arrogance, but simply because whatever it is no longer fits in your life. Close the door, change the record, clean the house, get rid of the dust. Stop being who you were and become who you are.”

Paulo Coelho
“I came to realize that I was always looking for myself in the women I loved. I looked at their lovely, clean faces, and saw myself reflected in them. They, on the other hand, looked at me and saw the dirt on my face and, however intelligent and self confident they were, they ended up seeing themselves reflected in me and thinking that they were worse than they were. Please don't let that happen to you.”
tags: love

Paulo Coelho
“I believe in signs....what we need to learn is always there before us, we just have to look around us with respect & attention to discover where God is leading us and which step we should take. When we are on the right path, we follow the signs, and if we occasionally stumble, the Divine comes to our aid, preventing us from making mistakes.”

Paulo Coelho
“One day, I am going to write a travel guide containing only maps and addresses of hotels, and with the rest of the pages blank. That way, people will have to make their own initery, to discover themselves restaurants, monuments and all the magnificent things that every city has, but which are never mentioned because ' the history we have been taught' does not include them in the list of things you must see.”

Paulo Coelho
“It is always important to know when something has reached its end. Closing circles, shutting doors, finishing chapters, it doesn’t matter what we call it; what matters is to leave in the past those moments in life that are over. Slowly, I began to realize that I could not go back and force things to be as they once were: those two years, which up until then had seemed an endless inferno, were now beginning to show me their true meaning.”