GoldenjoyBazyll's Reviews > The Unknown Errors of Our Lives: Stories

The Unknown Errors of Our Lives by Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni

I am in the midst of reading this collection of short stories based on the Asian Indian experience in the United States.

The first story was very thought provoking. A woman from India comes to live with her son and his family in Calif. Things are so different here. People do not talk over the fence in her son's neighborhood... children behave different then how they would be allowed to in her homeland.... and the drama over hanging a little laundry over the fence. Her son and his wife are so worried about not attracting attention to their ethnic background that they forget to honor it in their own home. In the end- she feels uncomfortable and wants to go back to India where she was happy. The whole story is based on what she will write in a letter to her best friend in India. I was so happy when she opened herself up and asked her friend if she could move into her extra apartment. What a strong woman!!!! I did feel bad for the son and his family- there is a great deal of pressure on people that are not of the majority to fit in. I did not get the sense that they were unhappy- they just adopted a different way of living and were pretty much ok with their decision. The son seemed stuck in the middle of his wife and his mom. His wife did not want to shake things up by having everyone notice their "Indian-ness"... the son seemed to enjoy having his mom around. I think it probably is similar to have anyones parents move in with them..... people of different generations live differently and of course in the US we are not as accustomed to living with generations of family under one roof. The story really made you think. Very nicely written and emotionally moving.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Unknown Errors of Our Lives.