Donald McKinnon's Reviews > The Circle Maker: Praying Circles Around Your Biggest Dreams and Greatest Fears

The Circle Maker by Mark Batterson

Jul 02, 12

bookshelves: must-reads
Read from March 18 to June 28, 2012

Learned a lot from a failed church planter, who's made it happen. This is the second book by Mark Batterson, that I have read in the last year or so. I have to say that this is a book that is truly amazing.

Mark Batterson has a way of telling a story and tying it into the Biblical viewpoint. This book is a book on prayer, and how it changes you and can change your church. I read this book along side Fresh Wind, Fresh Fire by Jim Cymbala, and it has made me re-examine the prayer service I lead at our church.

Batterson uses the story of Hodi the Circle Maker, to teach us that God wants to answer bold prayers. Its not a book on church growth, but this and Cymbala's book, both show that a church that is in prayer, is in God's will, and thus God will bless in spiritual and physical growth. Batterson points out his own circle he drew. I didn't know until reading this that Batterson had failed as a church planter in Chicago. He tells how he didn't look at planting a new church in Washington DC, but how he had prayed, and key points where he prayed, there are now campus churches of National Community Church there. He shares the journey of NCC as they looked for land, and built their unique campus at Ebeneezer's Coffee House, and later how they were able to purchase the "last piece of buildable land in DC" through prayer.

The one thing I got from this book, is that I need to give more than I have to God, that when God says he wants all, he means ALL. Its a tough adventure to go on, but you'll love the journey. Reading this book, made me want to share with so many people, who I know are frustrated with the growth, or lack there of, in their churches, and what they need to change. At the same time, I want to share this with the guys I lead in the mens ministry of the church, and pray it helps them to grow closer to God. Overall, this is a book, I think that every person should read who struggles in anything, because the key of this book, is to give everything to God in prayer, but not just to ask, but to say. If that last phrase has you confused, then I suggest you pick this book up, and learn that prayer isn't just about asking, but that we are to ask boldly.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Circle Maker.