Jemidar's Reviews > The Black Dahlia

The Black Dahlia by James Ellroy

Mar 18, 2012

bookshelves: kindle-library, mystery-spy-thriller-whodunits
Read from May 24 to 25, 2012 — I own a copy

So gripping that I read this virtually in one sitting, but definitely not for fainthearted. This is 1940s LA at it's gritty, sleazy best with lashings of testosterone, violence, sexism, racism, blackmail, corruption, bad cops, shoddy developers, family secrets and the odd necrophiliac. The characters are way past being flawed; they are totally f*cked up. And the details of the murder are grisly.

Classic noir based on true crime, with the investigation being fictionalized into one man's obsession with the girl who became known as The Black Dahlia.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Black Dahlia.

05/24/2012
0.0% "Yay for my Kindle, so light and easy to hold :-)."
05/24/2012
85.0% "Would still be reading except my Kindle needed recharging. Boo! Hiss!"
09/20/2016 marked as: read
show 1 hidden update…

message 1: by Kim (new)

Kim Possibly beyond my tolerance level? Although i've read some fairly grisly crime fiction in my time...

Jemidar Possibly, not really sure.

The attitudes and behaviour are really ugly, and in the beginning you'll find out a lot more about boxing than you'll ever want to know. The murder details themselves are graphic but take up surprisingly little of the story. If you do read it, just don't do what I did and Google info on "The Black Dahlia" as both the crime scene and autopsy photos are on the internet and they are NOT pretty!

message 3: by Kim (new)

Kim That's a good tip. I definitely don't want to see crime scene pics! It's hard to complain about the murder details though, given that the book's based on an actual crime.

I'll stick it on the Kindle some time soon. Did it make you want to read more Ellroy?

Jemidar Yep, it did. I downloaded the second in the quartet last night. If you get through this one, we can do the second together :-).

Lysa yep the book describes what the movie didn't show What happened to the girl they found her mouth slashed from ear to ear. eeerie!

message 6: by Jemidar (last edited Jan 16, 2013 01:59AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jemidar Yes, it was a bit gruesome. I've never seen the movie.

message 7: by Lysa (last edited Feb 12, 2013 02:40PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lysa # Jemidar
Finally checked out the pics on google like u did. Ur right not a pretty site. I pictured it in my head & the results there, were quite different.

Jemidar Grisly but morbidly fascinating.

message 9: by Lysa (last edited Feb 14, 2013 12:20AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lysa Jemidar wrote: "Grisly but morbidly fascinating."

Yes indeed. Do you a a recommendation to another book?

message 10: by Jemidar (last edited Feb 14, 2013 12:45AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jemidar No, I haven't read any of Ellroy's other books yet.

message 11: by Lysa (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lysa Thank-you anyway Jenidar. I see you have a love for classic novels. thumbs -up :)

Simon the most grotesque thing about Betty Short as they found her was that she'd been chopped in half!