SJH (A Dream of Books)'s Reviews > Bound

Bound by Sarah Bryant

Apr 11, 12

bookshelves: for-review, own, young-adult, paranormal, angel
Read on April 07, 2012

Very occasionally you come across a book which you know almost nothing about but which ends up amazing and surprising you with a story which you fall in love with. 'Bound' by Sarah Bryant is one of those books. I picked it up to read one evening and curled up in bed planning to just read a couple of chapters. Those couple of chapters turned into a few more and then a few more and I found that I couldn't actually go to sleep until I'd found out how the plot was going to unfold and what was going to be the fate of all the characters. Needless to say I didn't get much sleep at all that night!

The story is set in Scotland, in a small village called Ardnasheen. Situated in the middle of nowhere with a very small population who all know each other, the atmospheric setting nicely fitted with the feeling of isolation that the protagonist Sophie experiences when she first arrives. The weather is miserable and unwelcoming but Sophie is running away from something that scares her more than being on her own in a strange place.

She's drawn towards the local Laird, Lucas Belial, who we get to hear about before being introduced to him. There's a connection between them which is unexplained at first but gradually revealed over the course of the book. I loved Lucas who is gorgeous and passionate, dark and mysterious and I really liked the theme of forbidden love which is woven into the plot. The romance in the novel came across as genuine and real and made me believe and hope for the happiness of the characters. There's a mini love triangle between Sophie, Lucas and another local resident, Sam Eblis, but there was no doubt in my mind who she should pick.

Angels, revenants, demons and faeries - this book has them all and Bryant does a brilliant job of combining them all into a story which utterly captivated me. There are so many interesting and surprising revelations that 'Bound' is a genuine page-turner.

This is Sarah Bryant's fifth book (I've actually read a couple of her adult novels) but is the first which she's written for a young-adult audience. Angel lovers will adore this story of good and evil and forbidden love and will be gripped by the intricate plot, with layer upon layer of the story unravelling with plenty of exciting twists and turns. There are still lots of questions which remain unanswered at the end - one of the reasons why I'm absolutely desperate to read the sequel 'Riven' which luckily is due to be published summer 2012.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bound.