Jana's Reviews > Raw Blue

Raw Blue by Kirsty Eagar

Mar 18, 12

bookshelves: ya-and-creatures, east-and-aussie
Read in March, 2012

The best thing about Goodreads is that it gives you so much freedom to explore. I've never been into Young Adult literature apart from the obvious super popular books which ended up being ''must read'' because of the general talk.

But YA literature as an everyday embrace? Not really.

I don’t like adolescent issues and those horrible beginnings of self-evaluation when complexes are still so transparent and you don’t want them to be shown but you don't know how to hide them because you still don't know who you are and what you want out of this world. Adolescents are rebels. Most of them and I don’t like them because I was so rebellious when I was a kid so now when I read books about them and when I see those ''unnecessary'' struggles that they go through, I don’t envy them at all but it’s easy to turn my head because I can understand. Early twenties and bellow are just shitty times.

This book has a dreadful cover, it’s a combination between: ‘’I was eaten by a shark and now I’m a ghost who found out that I’m THAT girl from the Japanese movie Ring, or if you don’t know what I am talking about then think about American remake of the same movie The ring where I come out of the TV screen and basically won’t let you have a good sleep for the next 6 months while I - holly God if you’re there - promise myself not to watch fucking horror movies because I KNOW that I can’t handle them.''

Apart from its cover, story of Raw Blue is astonishingly good because it’s traumatic. Not in a 'Am I pretty enough?' but in a deep cut and bleeding out way.

I don’t like to write about plot in my reviews, I find them tedious, but I will tell you a little bit about this one: she’s Carly, 19, she’s a college dropout and she spends her days surfing in the morning, being a chef in the evening. Her life revolves around the ocean and her anger. Her angst is deep and wide and raw and blue. She meets Ryan, local surfer, a typical laidback and flawed 26 year old guy.

This book has a very slow burning process because it is so down to earth and honest. You wish that these people aren’t fictional, because you would like to have a beer with them. Hug Carly as well.

Imagine a wave; it has a beginning and the end. And it is balanced. It’s natural, it moves, it reflects, and it’s a product of wind and water energies. This book is that wave, it can’t be simpler, quieter, more visual and more natural. But if the wind forces itself, if it rapes it, it will break everything in front of it - you will feel its ruthless power because it will break your bones and suffocate you.

I liked how Australian this book smelled and tasted, and how it wasn’t adrenaline and experience hyped, but had simple and real dialogues which led to quiet resolve. Quiet slowed down life with simple scenery – which made problems even more crushing. And blacker, but it wasn’t darkest dark black but more like a deep ocean blue. It seems gushingly dark but add just the smallest ray of sunlight and look what happens. It turns into a beautiful shade of blue, the one that allows you to paddle with your legs.

This is such a clean and pristine book. No unnecessary drama, no exaggeration, no pretending. Just day by day life where change is inevitable and subtle.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Raw Blue.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anarika (new)

Anarika I just love the way you wrote this comment. I'd probably like the book as well.

Jana It's so pure. I think you would like it.