Laura's Reviews > The 30-Day Vegan Challenge: The Ultimate Guide to Eating Cleaner, Getting Leaner, and Living Compassionately

The 30-Day Vegan Challenge by Colleen Patrick-Goudreau

2008561
Mar 18, 12

bookshelves: books-read-in-2012, non-fiction
Read in March, 2012

This is a good starting place for anyone looking to go vegan, and for someone like me who hovers between veganism and vegetarianism, it gave me some interesting things to think about.

Of particular interest to me was her "intention, not perfection" mantra, which I've started using myself. It can be so easy when you're vegetarian or vegan to berate yourself if someone messes up an order, or to deny yourself food that may have been cooked in a kitchen with meat, or chocolate from a factory with milk. That might sound silly to a lot of people, but for many it's a challenge, and honestly this book has helped give me a bit more perspective about these things.

Since reading it I also feel less afraid to ask for things to be made vegan in restaurants, and therefore it's made being a sociable person in a city with few vegetarian restaurants a lot easier.

At points the book was a little righteous (I can't imagine ever responding to someone apologising to me for eating meat by saying "don't apologise to me, apologise to the cow") but that's minimal as well as unavoidable in a vegan guide, and for the most part this is a positive book with helpful advice and several good recipes.

Recommended if you're thinking about cutting meat and dairy out for a month, a year, or forever! Lots of good tips, particularly for those of you in the U.S.

(Feels a bit weird to be adding a part-cookbook to my bookshelf on Goodreads, but the amount of information in this book that wasn't recipe based merited it.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The 30-Day Vegan Challenge.