Laura Graves's Reviews > Pyxis: The Discovery

Pyxis by K.C. Neal

Apr 05, 12

bookshelves: 2012, young-adult, listened-to
Read from March 18 to April 01, 2012

It took me almost the entire book to get interested. I hate that, but it’s true. Normally, I’ll turn on my audiobook in the morning while I’m getting ready, eager for more. This time around I often just didn’t feel like listening. It really took until the very end before I got interested enough to say that I would read the next one.

Pyxis seems more like exposition than plot, and it was really short. I think the story could have continued rather than splitting it up into a series. The title does pretty much describe the book though. It’s the discovery of the Pyxis and what it is. It’s pretty much your everyday young adult fantasy or paranormal book. And honestly, it left much to be desired. I still don’t really know what Corrine and her friends’ purposes are. I guess I’ll have to read the next book to get that information. I don’t think I should have to though. If this is, in fact, an expository book that introduces a new series, I think the purpose of the paranormalcy should be explained. Mostly, it contained vague information and a little romance. One thing I will give props for is a decent cliff-hanger.

I liked Corrine and Mason, and I think that’s the only thing that saved this book. Corrine a good character who I think might have an opportunity to develop well in future books. Mason was my favorite though. There is a sincerity about his character that made me love him instantly. I think I’ll keep reading simply because I like him so much. Corrine is crazy to be so unsure about having a real relationship with him. He’s such a great guy!

I think Lisa Cordileone is the perfect voice for Corrine. Her voice really matches Corrine’s personality. She has great fluency most of the time. My only criticism is her voice for the elderly people in the story. It lacks sincerity and sounds a bit more like a caricature of an elderly person. That’s me being a little picky, but when you listen to as many audiobooks as I do, it’s difficult not to be. I would be interested to hear her in something else. She did a good job.

I recommend this audiobook to anyone who’s into young adult fantasy or paranormal series. It’s got a nice unique spin. I’ve definitely never read anything quite like it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pyxis.