The_Book_Queen's Reviews > Illicit Magic

Illicit Magic by Camilla Chafer

1954982
Apr 20, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: own, e-book, read-in-2012, romance, fantasy, magic, paranormal, urban-fantasy
Read from March 18 to 21, 2012

The review that follow is a partial review. To read the full review, please visit TBQ's Book Palace!

~*~*~*~*~*~
Illicit Magic begins the story of Stella Mayweather, who has just found out that she's a witch. As she slowly starts to learn the craft, as well as how to perfect her gifts, she finds herself running from the Brotherhood, a group that is scouring the world, burning witches alive. As if that wasn't enough, while staying at a safe home with other magic weavers, someone close to the group comes after her, ransacking her room and attacking the entire household, all in the hopes of getting hold of Stella. Can Stella learn to control her powers, help solve her parents' murders, protect her new friends, AND figure out what her relationship is with her sexy “teacher”, Evan, before it's too late?

While I liked the story that Illicit Magic told, as well as some of the characters, I felt like there was something missing from the book. I can't put my finger on it, exactly, but whatever it was took a book that could have been a “wow” for me and turned it into only a “meh”. And although “meh” isn't a bad rating, it's obviously not the kind of review that anyone wants to write—and surely not one that an author wants to read! But I have to be honest in my reviews, and, for me at least, this story fell short.

I was a bit annoyed by how some things were repeated over and over again in the book—perhaps not word for word, but still repetitive all the same. I was also a bit put off by the fact that I knew what was happening in the story before even Stella—either she was slow or blind, I'm not sure which, and since this was told from a 1st person POV, that's saying a lot when the reader connects the dots before the heroine!

Yet there were plenty of things I liked about this book. Evan was great, and though I wanted to know more about him (I guess I'll just have to wait for the next two books), he was a pretty good hero. I was happy to see him and Stella get together, though it did take some time (and they have yet to reach a HEA by any means). I really enjoyed how he distracted Stella while he was helping her to practice with her powers. I think that scene was my favorite, both for it's subtle sexiness and slight humor.

....

~*~*~*~
This review is property of The_Book_Queen (TBQ's Book Palace)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Illicit Magic.