stephanie's Reviews > Twilight

Twilight by Stephenie Meyer

Feb 25, 09

bookshelves: 2008, contemporaryfiction, young-adult, vampires
Read in August, 2008

okay. so first of all, i think stephenie meyer read a little x-files fanfiction in her spare time. i mean, honestly? bella's hair smells like strawberries?? i almost gave up on the book there.

then there was the CONSTANT ever changing descriptions of edward's eye. they were smouldering and topaz and black and sparking and everything that eyes can and cannot be. i kind of want to go back and count how many times bella is "dazzled" by his eyes, but frankly, the book is a little long for that.

bella irritated the crap out of me in the beginning. i hear she gets better in the later books (Breaking Dawn being the exception) but really? i've heard meyer claim she's not anti-feminist, and i honestly don't think she thinks she is. however, this character is nothing to want to live up to. at least in this installment, her big motivation and driving force and everything is that she loves this dude so much she's willing to die for him/to keep him safe/etc.

as if that story hasn't already been told in more creative ways. (note: i always thought of greek gods as golden, definitely not pale and cold. and yet edward is described as both. someone care to help me out?) edward is more interesting, but i got frustrated with him as well.

it's actually the cullen family that kept me reading. i love alice, and emmett and carlisle and esmee. jasper gets a good bit, but i'm hoping the next book explains some of rosalie -

uh, yeah. i just admitted i'll read the sequel. NOT because i have to see how edward and bella have the perfect life, whatnot. i kind of don't care about edward and bella.

but the last 75 or so pages have the entire plot of the book packed in. and i'm a sucker for a little action and intrigue. seriously, i called my sister and said, "finally! some real vampire action!" sigh.

the only other thing that really bothered me was how borderline erotic some of the scenes with bella and edward were. i mean, i'm hoping because i'm older i see it and not because it's there. it's just so . . . stupid in a way. girl falls in love with boy, boy falls in love with girl, star-crossed lovers, how will they figure it out? but like i said, the ending was enough to make me want to read the next which should start out with a bang (the first chapter of New Moon is included in the paperback edition i got from the library) and so maybe there won't be so much stuff about eyes and. the fact that edward is a touch creepy. i mean, he tries to read her mind, he WATCHES HER SLEEP without her knowing, and somehow this is true love and not a little creepy?

all i can say is, if this is true love, i want nothing to do with it. i'm definitely not swooning.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Twilight.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Anna Haha! I am dying to know what you think...

Alexis Ha Ha, I put off reading it because I didn't want to just follow the popular obsession. I didn't think it was the best book, but it was enjoyable and a nice read on a day when I needed to not think about real life. And it was enjoyable enough that I bought the second book. But I am waiting until the third comes out in paperback.

Meredith I'm feeling the same way, and would have picked the book up if there was a copy in at the library... I'd rather not buy it, but I'm curious about what's causing all the uproar amongst the children's librarians and teachers in my corner of the interweb.

message 4: by Anna (last edited Feb 25, 2009 02:52AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Anna I liked your review! I'm glad to see that another person sees through this misogynistic crap and was annoyed with all of the mentions of Edward's ~dazzling~ eyes.

Don't get your hopes up for New Moon -- I thought it was worse than Twilight and it essentially follows the same format of nothing, nothing, nothing for 500+ pages and then action in the last 100. At least you liked the Cullens -- I thought they were even more boring than everyone else in the book.

If you do read the next one, though, I'm curious to see what you'll think of Jacob Black. He's the only character with character in this whole series and it kills me that she basically ran him into the ground...

message 5: by Celia (new)

Celia Powell Ha - I was so tormented by these books while I was reading them, hooked and knowing I was going to read through to the end, and yet alternately enraged and horrified at the characters, the writing - lord. I thought this blog post was a really interesting analysis of the book's appeal to teeangers.