Sally's Reviews > Uncle Arthur's Bedtime Stories Volume Forty-Five

Uncle Arthur's Bedtime Stories Volume Forty-Five by Arthur S. Maxwell

Mar 18, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: short-stories, i-own-this, childrens-very-young, too-preachy, own-gardiner
Read in January, 1989 — I own a copy

One of my absolute favourites here: Betty and the Buttonholes! Betty's aunt makes her a new dress but hasn't time to finish the buttonholes before Christmas, so Betty's mother says she'll finish them as soon as she can. But Betty is impatient and on Boxing Day afternoon she has the bright idea of making the buttonholes herself! And she ruins the dress completely and it can never be worn and it hangs in her cupboard for years as a reminder to not be so impatient :P

I liked the naughty children stories. ;) Although I can't help but wonder if the dress really was ruined so completely - a length of the same material could surely have been sewn over the bit at the back where Betty had made the holes, which would then just look like a bit of hemming or whatever.

There's also the one with the boys throwing snowballs at cars, and the one about the Boy Among the Chimney Pots story from volume 8, where you think the woman is going to find the beloved statue that she read about in #8 as a child... but no, she just finds a copy of book #8.

A lot of the stories in this book are quite decent and interesting, if you ignore the paragraph at the end where they go all Rod and Tod Flanders on your ass.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Uncle Arthur's Bedtime Stories Volume Forty-Five.