Melanie's Reviews > Pyongyang: A Journey in North Korea

Pyongyang by Guy Delisle

Mar 18, 12

bookshelves: korea
Read in November, 2010

I thought this book was interesting. I learned some things, like North Korea is Hugely involved in the animation business of the world, thats right, the cartoons you are watching may very well be drawn in North Korea(probably not if you hail from the Republic of the United states, they recently banned a popular South Korean childrens cartoon because [some of, maybe all I don't rightly know] the drawing was done in North Korea, and america is anti communist), I thought that was really interesting. I also learned that there are foreigners who work in North Korea, who Aren't humanitarian types. I find that Amazingly fascinating, and started to wonder if there were some way I could do that XD

I found this Author had an interesting opportunity/insight into North Korea that I will probably never get the chance to witness first hand. His perspective was very.. interesting? it was very... something, not sure what.

I really liked the line-up that was dotted throughout the book, each time another person was missing for a different reason, in the end they were all gone. I like to think that was his purpose with the book, a "funny" read for some, with an amazingly serious idea behind it. Reminded me of what happened in China, "Wild Swans" is a biography a woman wrote about her father who was one of the most devout communists ever, all the way to death, but before his death he had fallen out of favour with the party, and so he died out of favour, still devout communist. Maybe he was the last man to disappear.

the idea of North Korea makes me sad

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pyongyang.