Ann Love's Reviews > Legions

Legions by Karice Bolton

Mar 18, 12

Read in March, 2012

I'm giving this one 3 stars because I'm still enjoying the story. However, I have a couple issues that drive me crazy. First, I know these Kindle books are being churned out at an incredibly fast pace, but please, for the love of all that is holy, PROOFREAD. Basic grammar mistakes, incorrect words and typos are bad enough, but when you use the wrong name?!? In the first book Cyril was once referred to as Cyrus. In this book, there was a point when the author wrote "Athen and Cyril" when there is absolutely no doubt that she meant "Aerie and Cyril". These are glaring errors that completely pull a reader out of the story. There were several places where things were simply worded awkwardly and could have been reworked to make more sense without distracting the reader from the story. And, the final pet peeve of mine, stop with the product placement! At the beginning of this book it felt like extra effort was being made to include references to: iPads, iPhones, iPods, Macbooks, Florence and the Machine and Sleigh Bells. If you want your story to be timeless you cannot reference things that may be unknown in the future. Say smartphone, tablet, laptop. Talk about a favorite song in general terms, you don't need to plug a specific band. Mentioning these items and bands specifically did NOTHING to enhance the story; the references felt forced and superfluous.

Whew, okay, sorry about the rant. It's a still a good light read. There were some things that happened that were really never explained, but I'll hold out for the final book and see if we learn something before making a final judgement.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Legions.