Bev's Reviews > Patti LuPone: A Memoir

Patti LuPone by Patti LuPone

Apr 15, 12

bookshelves: non-fiction, audio-version
Read from March 17 to April 15, 2012

For a musical theater devotee like me, this book provides some fascinating insights about life behind the curtain and the arduous, often painful process of getting a major Broadway production off the ground, but it ultimately left a bad taste in my mouth. Ms. LuPone is certainly a huge talent who has worked hard to achieve the heights of her stardom, but she spends way too much time here trashing the people she does not like or who have wronged her, and she presents herself as a victim with good justification for diva-esque behavior a few times too many. I don't care how angry you are, there is no excuse for trashing a dressing room and throwing a lamp out the window! It is also clear that she has left out a few well-known incidents that should be mentioned, such as the time she stopped in the middle of the climactic number in a performance of "Gypsy" to rant at a person taking pictures in the audience. While at times funny and touching, the book is constructed poorly, and while I thought I would enjoy listening to Ms. LuPone reading the book herself, her often brash demeanor rubbed me the wrong way.

All that being said, however, there is a lot I admire about Patti LuPone, including her pluckiness, her devotion to her craft and her determination to move beyond what sometimes seemed like unsurmountable obstacles. I am impressed by the amount of classic training she has acquired to get her where she is today (who knew she could play the tuba?)--her many credits are not limited to musical theatre. I would still love to see her perform live, and I have great respect for the impact she has had in the world of performing arts. Perhaps being a diva has helped to lead her to where she is today!
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Patti LuPone.