Gabbi's Reviews > Inherit the Sky

Inherit the Sky by Ariel Tachna

Mar 17, 2012

bookshelves: top2bottom-reviews, favorites
Read on March 18, 2012

When Caine Neiheisel’s mother inherits a sheep ranch from her uncle in Australia, Caine instinctively knows this is his chance to have a new start in life. Caine is in his early thirties and has a dead end desk job. He’s has many promotions denied him because of his nervous stuttering. Although he has a handle of it most of the time, whenever he becomes anxious or excited, he can’t control his stutter, causing him to lose many job opportunities for him. In the past, Caine has always fantasized about meeting his great uncle and spending the summer with him in Australia. Unfortunately for him, this never happened, but he realizes that running the ranch will give him that second chance he’s always dreamed of having.

As soon as he arrives in Australia, he meets the ranch’s foreman, Macklin Armstrong and he’s immediately intrigued and attracted to the rough around the edges cowboy. Although Macklin welcomes him and promises to help him learn the ins and outs of running a ranch, he’s often hot and cold with Caine, and this keeps Caine confused and on his toes while he’s around him. As time goes by, Macklin starts to admire Caine’s determination to work hard and to make the ranch successful and profitable for everyone. As their attraction and respect for one another intensifies, both men have some difficult choices to make if they want to take a chance at making the love they feel for each other last.

I really loved this book! I’ve read several stories by Ms. Tachna and I’ve never been disappointed with any of them. Her characters really live and breathes off of the written pages, and she has a knack of drawing this reader into their often complex and sometimes complicated lives. I also appreciate how she’s able to make wherever her books are set at, almost alive, like it is also a character within itself. I literally could see the ranch, feel the intense heat or bitter cold and visualize the beauty of Australia.

Both Caine and Macklin are very interesting characters. They both are stubborn men who are willing to fight for what they believe in. I thought they were very well matched and ended up bringing out the best in each other. I applauded how much both characters grew and developed as the story continued and ended up respecting and liking them both in the end. I really enjoyed reading this book and I hated to see it come to an end. I’m looking forward to reading more books by Ms. Tachna and Inherit the Sky has a permanent spot on my keeper shelf.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Inherit the Sky.