Karen's Reviews > The Black Hawk

The Black Hawk by Joanna Bourne

U_50x66
Apr 23, 12

Black Hawk is easily my favorite book of the past year. It makes me want to eat lightly for a day and sneak down cobblestone alleys in the rain. Reading it was so much fun because it got my imagination all fired up & made me feel like a kid again playacting spy stories. It was also fascinating how Bourne wove together plotlines from the previous books in the series. (The opening scenes in Spymaster's Lady are now even more intense knowing what had just happened).

I have seen that a number of readers didn't care for the flashback structure. My take on this is that it helps to read the book twice. I suspect I am not alone in saying that I get used to burning through romance novels with fast, easy to follow narratives. By contrast, a book that jumps around in time gives me a feeling of interruptus-- (e.g. hey wait! But what happens in THIS story thread?) However, upon re-reading, time jumps often work better for me because I am not as filled with suspense and I can see the character development between adjacent scenes and appreciate the writing quality. For example, the first time I read Kinsale's The Shadow and the Star, I found the flashbacks downright annoying. But, after re-reading it (twice), it is now one of my favorite books. Same with Black Hawk.

Joanna Bourne is an incredibly skillful writer. I look forward to her future works.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Black Hawk.