K.D. Absolutely's Reviews > Zsazsa Zaturnnah: Sa Kalakhang Maynila

Zsazsa Zaturnnah by Carlo Vergara

Oct 12, 13

bookshelves: pinoy, fantasy, tagalog
Read on October 12, 2013 — I own a copy, read count: 1

I found this better than the first Vergara's book about a comics local superhero, Zsazsa (or Ada when he is a normal human being). This character is actually and obviously a spin-off of Darna, a beautiful local heroine who is a hetero woman and whose normal human being persona is called Narda. You see, Zsazsa or Ada is a gay beautician who is in love, but denying it, with his friend, hunk Dodong. Ada is in denial because she is being reminded of his past love when he was ditched because he was gay and he has been told that no straight male would ever truthfully fall in love with him unless he gets a vagina.

When I reviewed the first book of Vergara entitled Ang Kagilagilalas na Pakikipagsapalaran ni Zsazsa Zaturnnah (1 star) I got angry comments from my friends due to its homophobic tone. This plus my review of Jane Austen's Emma (2 stars) made my brother to give me an advice of not discriminating gays and gay-themed books. The reason for my prejudice against gays was not because I am a gay myself (I am straight) but because that was the environment I was born in. My father used to hate and look down on gays and in the small island in the Pacific where I grew up, there were then just a couple of gays and they were being laughed at behind or sometimes not too behind their backs. So, prior to these reviews, I used to laugh at them too. Obviously, what I thought came out in those reviews. But those reviews were "sanitized" by me now. If you only saw their original versions, you would also hate me for being who I was: disgusting homophobic.

But people can change, right? We are all not too old to shed off our old paradigms and be better persons. Reading for one, made the trick for me. The more I read, the broader my mind becomes. I used to be a worrier too. Now, I only think of the Holocaust victims and what they went through I could still be thankful to God for whatever little problems that he throws down my way.

The part where Dodong embraced Ada from behind while they were in the park is the most romantic part of this book. I enjoyed looking at how Ada looked like in those frames. She was obviously in love with Dodong. If only all homosexual love can be like that. Dodong is depicted here as a straight handsome man and he even had a hetero love, Soledad who he bumped into one afternoon when he was not with Ada. Vergara made Soledad appear as an ordinary chubby provincial lass. Had she been stunningly beautiful, I would have doubted his attraction to Ada so much that it would be enough for me to junk this book.

What I am trying to say that this is, just like the first book, this is an escapist that caters to the fantasies of a young gay men. Escapist books are entertaining but like what F. Sionil Jose's point his one of his essays, the essence of writing literature is how you expose realities that help people of a nation realize who they are and what they could become. Writers have the responsibility of helping in building a nation as literature tells people their history and it is in history that we learn our lessons. Lessons that we can bring with us in moving forward.

This book is just okay for me. It has some happy and funny moments but they are just not enough for me to like this book.
4 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Zsazsa Zaturnnah.

10/12/2013 marked as: currently-reading
10/12/2013 marked as: read

Adrian Sir hindi daw intent ni Sir Carlo yung kay Darna. Haha.