Kristin (Beneath Shining Stars, I Read)'s Reviews > Over You

Over You by Emma McLaughlin

Aug 28, 12

Read from July 26 to August 28, 2012

Meet Max, the founder of Ex, Inc. which is--as you might've suspected--designed to help girls get over their ex-boyfriends. And the program? It works. Or, at least it's worked for her clients. But Max has never really gotten over her ex. Name? Hugo Tillman. She thought she'd left him behind when she left her old school but he's in New York now and inevitably, this means she'll likely run into him. So how do you measure the success of your project when you haven't completed the program yourself? Will Max finally have her Moment? Or will Max succumb to Hugo Tillman all over again?

It needs to be said that I absolutely love the idea behind Ex, Inc. A company that specializes in helping you get over a bad breakup? Yes please! And while I could ramble on about Ex, Inc. for a while, I'll resist. Why? Because it's so much more fun to read about it in Over You and see the results first hand! (Well, you know what I mean.) You'll get to meet Bridget, one of the girls currently enrolled in the Ex, Inc. program and watch her go from moping over her ex-boyfriend to- well, you'll see!

As for characters, I really did love Max. I mean, I'm sure that if I were working in the closet at Teen Vogue during Over You I wouldn't exactly like Max--all I can think about is having to account for missing clothing. However, as a reader? I really loved how she pep talked her clients and how dedicated she is when it comes to getting into college and working on turning Ex, Inc. into something much larger. Then there's Ben, who is definitely adorable and he seems like a really great guy. He also happens to be friends with Taylor. Problem? You bet. And Max's life is already a roller coaster of ups and downs to begin with!

And I can't not mention Max's partners in crime, Zach and Phoebe! Admittedly I could've done with more of them in Over You, but ultimately I love how supportive they are of Max and they definitely seem like really awesome friends. As for the plot itself, I think it carried along nicely. You get the main plot throughout and Bridget's recovery as well. It was a bit difficult for me to get into the present tense writing at first but once the plot really began to take off, I ceased caring.

Would I recommend Over You to you? If you're looking for books that involve break-ups, recovery from said break-ups, and a bit of romance too, definitely! Over You was a cute read that I think readers will definitely enjoy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Over You.

07/26/2012
1.0% "Apparently I'm slaying my TBR pile today--not that I'm complaining."