Lee Razer's Reviews > Taft 2012

Taft 2012 by Jason Heller

Mar 17, 12

I love the idea of this book as I understood it before reading it, but don't much care for the execution. If only I had read the acknowledgements page first, in which the author thanks his editor for giving him this idea, and mentions that this first time novelist is the previous author of The Captain Jack Sparrow Handbook. Oh. That would have seriously adjusted my expectations of what kind of book this was; less serious yet playful examination of American politics by an inspired novelist, and more... hired out playful silliness. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

But indeed, the worst parts of this book are when the author tries to get somewhat serious and forces Taft to speak awful political platitudes. Thankfully, those moments occur less often than the silliness: Taft learning to Wii, Taft learning to use Twitter, Taft getting drunk in a bar and listening to a bad punk band and going home with the barmaid, Taft having a digestive problem, Taft encountering modern talk show hosts. Those are somewhat amusing, so fair play to the author for that.

Now, could someone please try to convince an accomplished novelist to imagine Theodore Roosevelt returning to campaign for President in 2016? Ah well.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Taft 2012.