Tom's Reviews > Hudson Taylor's Spiritual Secret

M_50x66
Aug 08, 08

Recommended for: everyone
Read in January, 1980

I read this book with curiosity, looking for the spiritual secret of this great man of God. I wanted to discover what it was that he had found that made his a great man of God. Simply put, he had learned to enjoy the presence of the Lord Jesus Christ. The Lord Jesus promised that if you believed and trusted in Him, He would always be in and with you, that you would be held safe and secure in His hand, that nothing would ever be able to take you from Him. To Hudson Taylor these were not just words, a religious concept. He discovered that it was real. The presence of Jesus Christ with him is what gave Hudson Taylor the "peace that passeth understanding" through the rigors of missionary work, the stresses of heading up the mission agency, and the heartbreak of getting the news from the field of the martyrdom of missionaries. This discovery impacted me. What made Hudson Taylor a great man was not some formula or method. Jesus Christ made him great, and gave him the joy of knowing and sensing His very real presence. That wonderful experience has not made me a great man in a worldly sense. It has given me joy and peace, and has made me able to serve Him even when I had to go through difficult circumstances. Hudson Taylor was great not because he was something special, but because the Great One was always in and with him.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hudson Taylor's Spiritual Secret.