Cristy's Reviews > Guardian of the Dead

Guardian of the Dead by Karen Healey

Mar 19, 12

bookshelves: faeries, gods-goddess, magic, paranormal-supernatural, mythology
Read from March 17 to 19, 2012

So…first off, I started this book with no prior knowledge of New Zealand (aside from its beauty and proximity to Australia) and in all truth, I didn’t originally even realize the book was set in New Zealand. So what did I know? Well, the quick cover sleeve summary mentions: high school kids, mythology, serial killings and even some kind of a Bible reference and soul saving... oh and Māori (not that I knew what that was). So going off all that, plus the books title GUARDIAN OF THE DEAD, I thought cool, I’ll bite...A new paranormal/supernatural read of some kind, from a new author, lets give ‘er a shot. And I am pleased to report that my gamble paid off.

GUARDING OF THE DEAD was a very good read.. Did it “HOLY COW!” blow me away? I really wanted it to but it came up just shy of that; although it was an intriguing, solid and unique story that held my attention with a cast that I actually cared about. More of a quite champion, starting off by grabbing my interest with the characters themselves; then by the time we got to the actual “otherworldly” stuff, I was already so enthralled by Ellie that I was flying through the story. Basically weird stuff happens and we the reader, get to figure it all out alongside our charmingly less than typical protagonist. And though it did take a little time for me to puzzle-out the supernatural origins and where things were headed for our heroin; it may become clearer faster for those with some background knowledge of New Zealand fairy tales and Māori mythology. Either way, Karen Healey’s somewhat creepy and definitely special debut, GUARDINAN OF THE DEAD is one I’d recommend to anyone looking for something “new” in the world of mythology and spooky folk lore.

*Bonus Time!* For those going into this read naive to anything Māori (like I was), Ms. Healey was kind enough to provide a Glossary of some of the Māori names/terms that are used throughout the story… unfortunately, the Glossary is at the very back of the book and went unnoticed by me until it was too late. So be sure to put it to use, if you start to get a little lost in the language.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Guardian of the Dead.

03/18/2012 page 64
19.0% "Hmm. Interesting..."
03/18/2012 page 120
36.0% "Weird…but I like ~_~"
03/18/2012 page 203
61.0% "Weirder still...but I get where it's going now. And I'm still liking it :)"
03/19/2012 page 256
77.0% "Still really liking the characters..a little overwhelmed by the Māori "lore" culture/language..but the story is good and I am following." 2 comments