Maureen's Reviews > Journey Into Darkness

Journey Into Darkness by John E. Douglas

Aug 08, 08

Recommended for: anyone
Read in January, 1998

There is no question that John Douglas was good at his job as a profiler at the FBI, and he helped develop a methodology for interviewing serial killers that has provided valuable data. That being said, I have a few points of contention. One is that there has been such an emphasis on serial killers, that everyone who murders someone is liable to be viewed in the same way. Most murderers kill people they know, and much of the time alcohol or illegal substances are involved, or mental illness, or similar mitigating circumstances. I am not trying to justify murder, but rather to say that it is not all black and white. There are many shades of gray.

The extremity of the cases which Douglas depicts makes it easier to see the world in black in white. That attitude may assist him as a profiler, but it leaves a lot to be desired if the end question is one of trying to make the world a better place. After reading this book, I decided that I do not need to read any more books by this author.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Journey Into Darkness.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Jessica Applin I do have to agree with you. I think he is viewing the world in black and white. Undeniably there are things that are right and wrong. I found his contempt for the appeals process in our justice system upsetting. Mistakes will be made and they need to be corrected, not to release someone from prison, but to try to leave a precedence to make sure theses same mistakes do not happen again. But I think I will take a look at mindhunters.