All Things Urban Fantasy's Reviews > Ever After

Ever After by Kim Harrison

Mar 17, 2012

bookshelves: reviewed-by-julia, earc
Read in January, 2013

With so much in the balance, this was a hard Hollows book for me to read. Rachel is inescapably the focus, and having the cowardice and petty cruelty of demon society dog her footsteps was a frustration the whole book through. I loved the issues of trust explored, was absolutely shocked by the losses suffered, and am angry at the dynastic roadblock impeding a budding romance.

My enjoyment of the Hollows books doesn’t stem from a universal love of every plot decision made, if nothing else, I probably enjoy these books even more due to their unpredictability. It’s not a surprise, then, that my relative dissatisfaction with EVER AFTER stems from feeling like I can see exactly where this series is headed. Despite their flaws, I had always harbors some affection for Pierce and even Nick, but while Al is allowed to show his softer, redeemable side, Rachel’s exes slide further down the road to unforgivable. In fact, much of this book read like Harrison cleaning house to resolve the series. I don’t mind her gathering up narrative lose ends, but the plot around these efforts seemed needlessly frustrating. The vagaries of the demon legal system did not make for a satisfactory road block all through EVER AFTER, and I don’t think I’ll have very much more patience with Elvish customs if they continue to be a problem in book twelve.

I haven’t been coming back to the Hollows because I need a particular romance to pan out, or a particular villain to be defeated. I visit this nuanced, organic world to enjoy a little time with my friends. To check up on Jenks and Rachel and the group, to have coffee in the kitchen and hear how their life has changed. This means that no matter how beautifully Harrison wraps up this series, I’ll probably be digging in my heels and heading back to earlier books, enjoying the road trips, cheering the triumphs, and crying through the losses along with these beloved characters. EVER AFTER gets us all one book closer to the series finale (coming with either book 12 or 13), but my relationship with The Hollows has no end in sight.

Sexual Content: Kissing, references to sex.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ever After.

05/29/2016 marked as: read

Tamara Talking about their (and our) losses and the approaching finale of this amazing series has already managed to get me to tear up. Like you, I'll be returning to the earlier books no matter how painful they are.