Christa Seeley's Reviews > The Gilly Salt Sisters

The Gilly Salt Sisters by Tiffany Baker

Apr 28, 12

bookshelves: 2012, genre-contemporary, genre-historical-fiction, sent-for-review
Read from March 17 to 19, 2012

Originally reviewed at Christa's Hooked on Books

Hidden amongst an increasingly modern world, is the town of Prospect. Stuck in its way and stuck in the salt. It's a fascinating place and I loved getting swept away in its story. Tiffany Baker has this incredible gift for setting a scene. I felt like I could imagine everything, from the pews in the church, to the rancid meat at the general store to the way the salt looked before Jo scraped it up. It was like she knew exactly what details to focus in on to help you become completely absorbed in the setting.

By far the most amazing thing about this novel was the characters. From Jo, a firm rock that stands strong throughout the novel, to Claire, who is full of surprises, to Dee who adds just the right amount of tension to make things interesting. I even loved the secondary characters like Whit and Ethan. Everyone in this book was just so fascinating! You really felt like you were getting to know them and by the end of it all you felt heavily investment in what was to come.

And then there's the salt. A character onto itself. It seems strange that salt could be like a character but I can think of no better way to describe its role in those book. There isn't a single person in this story who's life isn't affected by the salt and it seems to have its own mood, and whims. Changing the course of someone's of life just as easily as it flavours their food. This story wouldn't have been half as interesting without it.

The Gilly Salt Sisters is an enchanting book which I absolutely adored. It had amazing characters, a beautiful setting and a fascinating plot. I fell absolutely in love with everything above it and found myself hanging onto every page. I highly recommend this book to everyone who loves a well constructed story with a stellar cast of characters. This one gets a permanent home on my shelves.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Gilly Salt Sisters.

03/17/2012 page 102
27.0% "Beautiful storytelling so far"
show 1 hidden update…