Martha Bourke's Reviews > Aftereffects: Zombie Therapy

Aftereffects by Zane Bradey

Apr 22, 12

Read from March 17 to April 01, 2012

There’s no doubt that if zombies are your thing, this is the book for you. There are plenty of guts, gore and detached limbs. But, there’s also more here, much more. Bradey’s book is set up almost as a book of short stories, all linked together by a psychiatrist named Dr. Frenzel. Dr. Frenzel’s wife is murdered by a bunch of carnivorous zombie’s during the outbreak of a virus. This virus, which essentially causes humans to turn into zombies, is cured quickly by the government. Now Frenzel is counseling those who have been cured, and, believe me, they need it. They can remember everything that happened while they were infected, including everyone they ate.

As Dr. Frenzel asks each patient or couple to recount their tale, we learn more about the outbreak, as well as the patients themselves. The stories that his patients relay range from tragic to comedic and are wonderfully entertaining in and of themselves. It is here that we see Bradey at his best. His masterful use of flashback brings us into the lives of characters that are so very diverse and yet so much alike to Frenzel. To him, they are all murderers and nothing more. It doesn’t matter who they were before they became infected. And he sees it as his duty to rid the world of them all. The death of his wife at the hands of the group of zombies is his personal justification.

This adds another layer to this terrific story. As I read Aftereffects, one question came to my mind repeatedly. Who is worse - the people who had killed scores of innocents while infected by the virus or Dr. Frenzel himself? He too is a murderer, albeit one who has some psychological issues of his own. Frenzel continually asks his patients if they feel any responsibility for what they have done, even though I got the sense that he couldn’t care less. But, the question, I think, is really there for the reader.

There is something in Aftereffects for everyone. It is, at its heart, a zombie tale. But unlike many zombie books before it, it’s so much more. Don’t miss out on this entertaining read!
3 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Aftereffects.