Chanelle's Reviews > The Mating

Mar 17, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: introduction-to-series, reviewed-2012
Read in March, 2012

Kudos to Nicky Charles. I enjoyed this. 3.5 stars really.

I have been wary of this genre for such a long time because most of them really suck and paranormal romance is becoming seriously over-saturated. Sex sells, but couple that - pun intended- with the supernatural it becomes explosive. And despite the ravings of fans and the real appeal of this category I am almost always skeptical of what I read. But, I like this and she's a novice, which only means she'll get better the more she writes.

The first chapter is well written, in terms of how she presents Elise's predicament. I do admit that sometimes the writing becomes a bit artificial, during dialogue especially. However, I was still able to enjoy the storyline. I especially liked how her wolves are civilised in a sense, with new approaches to traditional issues. It makes them, in my opinion, more realistic as a society. The very nature of the narration from Elise's point of view adds to the normalcy of their existence and does not overdramtise their struggle against human society, even when they interact with humans and each other.

As I said, I enjoyed this book, and I firmly believe that she should publish. I read about decision to keep this a hobby, but if she does decide to change her mind, I'd say go right ahead. She's already got a head start on alot of popular novelists.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Mating.