Stephanie's Reviews > Ella Enchanted

Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine

F_50x66
Mar 17, 12

Read in February, 2012

I can't count the number of times I have read this book. The pages are starting to rip, the binding in broken but I never see any of that, for as soon as I open the book, I am whisked away to a wonderful fairytale world that I know as well as I know this world. I was not a fan of the movie. Having read this book long before the movie came out, I was disappointed with the movie. Sure, it was cute. There were funny parts and the prince was appropriately adorable but the story lost so much of what made this story so wonderful.

Ella Enchanted is a story about a young girl who was "blessed" with the "gift" of obedience. This is the only similarity between the movie and the book. Ella in the movie is unable to really do anything against her curse while Ella in the book is spunky and rebellious and constantly trying to fight her curse. Ella is one of my favorite literary characters. She is smart, witty, loyal, adventurous, honest, she was everything that I wanted to be as a child.

All of the women in this book were strong. None of them were doormats. None of them were the typical damsel in distress type girls you generally saw in fairy tales. The whole story wasn't a typical fairy tale. It had the elements of a fairy tale; magic, princes, fairies, but the story itself was so much more. It was funny and sweet, it had horrible characters and wonderful characters. All in all, it is and will always be one of my favorite stories.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ella Enchanted.