Amy Warrick's Reviews > The Last Werewolf

The Last Werewolf by Glen Duncan

Mar 17, 12

bookshelves: vampire-werewolf-other-weirdness
Read in March, 2012

I'd rather have given this 2 1/2 stars. But I chose 3 because I really did like the author's style. This is not your 'Buffy' style of werewolf, the lovable Oz. This isn't a werewolf from 'Werewolves of London', and I bet it's not a werewolf along the lines of those in the "Twilight" books, but since I haven't read them.....

This is a werewolf who acknowledges his own monstrosity. He admits to being consumed with his sexual appetites and uses the basest terms in describing them. Jake Marlowe isn't a nice guy who unfortunately turns fuzzy once a month, he's a beast in man's clothing. He's also well-educated and rich, but it wasn't until the latter part of the book that I found anything engaging in him at all.

I couldn't decide if this was a philosophical book too much cloak-and-daggerish business, or athriller-wanna-be with too much philosophical yammering. It's right on the edge, but doesn't work either way. What I enjoyed was the writing.

Would appeal to those for whom the olfactory is the most satisfying sense. And peeps who like to contemplate the monster within.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last Werewolf.