Jess Schira's Reviews > Derailed

Derailed by Jon Ripslinger

Mar 17, 12

bookshelves: 2012-challenge
Read in March, 2012

Not having an preconceived ideas about a book prior to reading is a wonderful thing.

I really like Derailed. Although there were a few points I wish the editor had spent just a little more time.

Derailed is told from the perspective of Stony. High school hot shot who’s pretty sure he know what his future holds. He’s also learned that as long as he smiles, he can convince the world that everything’s okay. At the beginning of the story, Stony has started to wonder if maybe there’s more to the world than following in his parent’s foot steps.

Stoney’s tutor is not at all what she expected. She’s cold, doesn’t care about his celebrity status, and has led a very troubled past.

My only complaint with the characters is that the relationship moved a little quickly, and felt like it was rushed in interest of plot development.

My biggest complaint with Derailed is the climax, which was just a bit far-fetched for my taste. I can only take so many stupid teen antics in dangerous situation before I’m rolling my eyes. The build up to the climax was very good, and the way the climax ended was also good. Like I said, my objection was with the stupid teen antics.

I love Riplinger’s writing style. He has a very clear writing style, and doesn’t use any extra words. He also doesn’t shy away from the harsher elements of teenage life.

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Derailed.