Mary's Reviews > Tomatoland: How Modern Industrial Agriculture Destroyed Our Most Alluring Fruit

Tomatoland by Barry Estabrook

Mar 17, 2012

liked it
Read on March 17, 2012

While I found this book somewhat interesting, the title is definitely a misnomer. Only about half of the book describes how modern agricultural- primarily the the practices surrounding growing tomatoes in Florida in the winter months which requires them to be bred to be hardy, disease-resistant, and perfectly round orbs (although not necessarily tasty) and picked while still green so they can be shipped up north (and gassed in local warehouses) before appearing in grocery stores way up in New England. The rest of the book details the abuses of the migrant workers who pick those tomatoes and steps activists have taken to improve their plight. While I think that is very important information to include in this book, I think the chapters could have been organized much better as the author jumps around too much from the evolution of the modern tomato, the plight of the workers, and research aimed at trying to make a hardier but tastier tomato.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tomatoland.