Tyra's Reviews > The Legacy of Eden

The Legacy of Eden by Nelle Davy

Mar 17, 2012

Read in March, 2012

I chose this book mostly because of its great cover and I thoroughly enjoyed the pages within. The narrator is a present-day descendant of Iowa landowners known as the Hathaways. The story begins and ends with the antagonist, Lavinia, and of her role in creating and unwittingly destroying the family and their inheritance known as Aurelia. The story is also about family and the relationships there that can both build up and destroy a member. No one walked away from Aurelia unscathed when, all along, it and the close-knit family who lived on its golden acres were supposed to bring healing and life. Trying to overcome the wounds from my own family, I felt it was a story I could relate and, more often than not, I was right.

Nelle Davey is a new author and, judging from this book, has a promising future as a storyteller. I'll forgive the fact that she is British and was able to tell a tale of southern and farm living with intricate descriptions and intrigue. I'll look forward to her second novel set in Louisiana in 1963.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Legacy of Eden.