Jenni's Reviews > Foretold: 14 Tales of Prophecy and Prediction

Foretold by Carrie Ryan

Mar 09, 13

bookshelves: all-sorts-of-vampire, anthologies, historical, contemporary, fantasy, paranormal, romance, survival
Read from February 16 to 21, 2013

CAN'T WAIT!

There is a total of 14 stories with the theme, prophecy and prediction. I'm going to write a short review to each of these stories and give it a rating. The final rating will be the weighted rating of all these stories.

1. Gentleman Send Phantoms by Laini Taylor
It's about three girls who are waiting for the phantom of the man that they are going to marry on St. Faith's Day. St. Faith's Day is a special day where a girl can lure forth the phantom of the man she'll marry, see this man's face and what will lay ahead of her future. It's a tradition that have a long history, and all of the three girls have the same man in sight. But for Catherine, Matthew Blackgrace, have a special place in heart regardless of his good looks. It was such a cute and sweet love story about two childhood sweethearts that were destined for each other. And the concept were very interesting and I've never read about anything like that before. Now I'm probably going to check out this author and what kind of books she has written.

2. Burned Bright by Diana Peterfreund
I've just read "For Darkness Shows the Stars" and I had high expectations for this story. It's a story about brain-washing and fanaticism. Bright is our main heroine and she has been brain-washed by her father. Her father has been talking about the end of our world and that we should prepare for the end and lot's of stuff about heaven and hell. The consequences were even more brutal than the lies. We got to see the events unfold from Bright and Sam (the boy that likes Bright) perspectives. Sam that relies the lies and Bright, who can not see through the deception. It was painful to be in Bright's mind because she was a victim to his father's false beliefs. Similar things are happening in different countries in our world, is there a way to stop this before something terrible happens?

3. The Angriest Man by Lisa McMann
Lisa McMann is one of my favorite author and I adored her "Dream Catcher" series. But O don't understand this story at all, and I wasn't sure what kind of message she wanted to relate to us readers. I have no clue.
1.5 stars.

4. Out of the Blue by Meg Cabot
It's an alien story. A traditional alien story about aliens who wanted to invade the earth by planting a blue "device" on children whose parents worked for the government, military etc. to gain access to secret information. Lot's of character perspectives and a love story here and there. It was an ok story, but not epic enough to leave a impression on me. It had it humorous moments.
3 stars.

5. One True Love by Malinda Lo
Don't have any objections to same sex couples, but it's not my cup of tea.
1 star.

6. This Is a Mortal Wound by Michael Grant
Told from a boy's perspective and the writing style were different from other stories since it was written like HE was telling US his story. It was like a monologue. Hilarious at times and telling us what kind of impact technology innovations will have on our lives in the future, and the role of Internet. What's the importance of knowledge when it's constantly changing? Why are we going to school and learn about things that could change it's meaning in the future? It was a little boring at the beginning of the story but it got interesting at the end.
4 stars.

7. Misery by Heather Brewer
Just by the story’s name you will be able to guess that the story is about misery; living in misery or just being miserable. But I thought it was an inspirational story that takes on this emotion that we all people have experienced in life. It has a deeper meaning than what I thought at the beginning and it left you with a good-feeling rather than a miserable one at the end. We should bring more colors and happiness to the world rather than only dark/grey and sadness.

8. The Mind Is a Powerful Thing by Matt de la Peña
Being too superstitious will have an opposite effect. I really liked this story but it got a rather sad ending. What kind of things drove our main character, Joanna, to being so superstitious? Is it “wrong” to take precautions of horrible things that’s happening around us, or could happen to us? Nothing wrong with that but if you take it too far, there’s no turn back. And that’s exactly what happened to Joanna. She believed/thought that she knew what will happen based on a prediction that she got from an fortune cookie, which led to an accident that she has caused and could never take back. Just what the title said: the mind is a powerful thing.

9. The Chosen One by Saundra Mitchell
Also a very great story about sisterhood (no matter status), determination/braveness and love (no matter appearance).
I wasn’t the Chosen One.
What distinguishes me is that I chose myself.

10. Improbable Futures by Kami Garcia
This story really got right to my heart. ”Fate will deal you a fair hand”, and it really does.

11. Death for the Deathless by Margaret Stohl
A sexy story about the end of the world, but it wasn’t really the end of the world, isn’t? The ending were a bit confusing, so there was a mastermind behind this underworld war just to get rid of the underworlders?
3 stars.

12. Fate by Simon Elkeles
Such a sweet love story, love it! Willow managed to open up Carson’s heart and what a heart-warming sight it was. Fate brought them together and you shouldn’t dwell in the past for things that you parents did. Because they were like that doesn’t mean you will become like them. Everyone have a choice.

13. The Killing Garden by Carrie Ryan
This is also an amazing story with lots of details and great character-development. Don’t make a choice that you think your parent’s will approve, but one that it’s your heart’s desire. Tanci did just that at the end and she found one person that could really see through her cloak as a Gardener (the Emperor’s “killing machine”).

14. Homecoming by Richelle Mead
A Rose and Dimitri story that take place after the last book in the Vampire Academy series, The Last Sacrifice. I’ve read all of the books in that series so I’m familiar with the setting and terms that Richelle used. Rosmitri are really meant for each other! Loved to see them once again and being badass at killing Strigois. Dimitri’s grandmother is so funny LOL Every story in this anthology are related to the prophecy and prediction theme, and Yeva (Dimitri’s grandmother) is the key person in this aspect *wink*
4.5 stars.

Average rating: 3.96 stars ~ 4 stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Foretold.

Quotes Jenni Liked

Kami Garcia
“It's the face the world sees, the one you can change as many times as you want”
Kami Garcia, Foretold: 14 Tales of Prophecy and Prediction

Richelle Mead
“You’ve given some pretty convincing arguments, but you’re still a long way from winning me over.”

“I haven’t even really tried,” he said, in a rare moment of arrogance. “When I want to, I can be very persuasive.”

“Yeah? Prove it.”

His lips moved toward mine. “I was hoping you’d say that.”
Richelle Mead, Foretold: 14 Tales of Prophecy and Prediction

02/16/2013 page 1
0.0% "At first I wanted to only read Rosmitri's story but there is other authors that I like who wrote their own short stories, so I'm going to read the whole book, since I got the hardcover now :D"
02/17/2013 page 54
14.0% "Finished Laini Taylor and Diana Peterfreund's stories and currently reading Lisa McMann's "The Angriest Man". These short stories are so thought provoking and brilliant!"
02/17/2013 page 54
14.0% "I'm going to write a short review to each of these stories after I've read them since I have them fresh in my memories :D"
02/19/2013 page 144
39.0% "Going to start Heather Brewer's Misery and I hope it's a good one. I'v read 4 stories since the last update and they are just so-so..."
02/20/2013 page 368
100.0% "Finished! Going to write the reviews for the remaining 8 stories when I get home from work :D"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

♔Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Veronica Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ ♔ Thank you so much for reviewing ALL of the stories instead of just Homecoming lol. It took me forever to find a review that did!

Jenni Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Veronica wrote: "Thank you so much for reviewing ALL of the stories instead of just Homecoming lol. It took me forever to find a review that did!"

Thank YOU for reading and liking my review :D Hope you'll find it useful! Saw that you added the book so hope you'll end up liking it as well :)

message 3: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah Thank you for reviewing the entire book. I have no idea who Rose and Dimitri are so.... Thanks so much for letting me know that this entire book was worth the read! :)

Jenni Sarah wrote: "Thank you for reviewing the entire book. I have no idea who Rose and Dimitri are so.... Thanks so much for letting me know that this entire book was worth the read! :)"

I'm glad that the review have been of help :) For me, I only knew about Rose and Dimitri's story but I couldn't found any review that covered the whole book so I wrote one instead. Since there had to be readers beside me that want to know if it's worth reading the whole book :D Hope you'll like it as much as I did!

message 5: by Cristina (new) - added it

Cristina Great review, thank you so much for reviewing each story. I was wondering if it was worth grabbing from the library and I am not interested in the Vampire Academy story. :)

Jenni Cristina wrote: "Great review, thank you so much for reviewing each story. I was wondering if it was worth grabbing from the library and I am not interested in the Vampire Academy story. :)"

Thank you! :)