Mel's Reviews > The Diviners

The Diviners by Libba Bray

Aug 20, 14

bookshelves: buy-gifts-2013, owned-ya, bookclub, owned-books, read-2014
Read from July 22 to 25, 2014

First of: this book is creepy! Don’t let the thickness of this book stop you from reading this one, because it’s a great story with interesting characters. I’m happy we decided to pick this book up for our book club, otherwise I wouldn’t have read this one any time soon.

“Naughty John has come home. And he has work to do.”

Evie is sent to her uncle Will, owner from the Museum for creepy things: American folklore, superstition and occult, after a drama between her and a guy. She used her powers on him and now he is mad she told everyone his secret. Evie is able to get information about people when she touches something personal. That power can come in handy, because her uncle is asked to help in a mysterious murder case. Someone is killing random people and he/she leaves marks on their body.

I loved how we slowly got more information about the killer and why he murders all those people. The chapters about Naughty John scared me; he is one creepy character. The part where he enters Evie’s dream and tells her ‘he can see her’ and ‘he is coming for her’.. Or when she enters his house and he calls for her, because the house is sort-of alive.. *shivers*

Okay, moving on to the other characters. I liked Evie. She can be a bit rash and inconsiderate for the people around her, but her heart is in the right place. She is feisty, intelligent and definitely not a scary-pants. I absolutely loved her banter with Sam, the guy who stole her money when she arrived in New York. He got a job at Will’s museum and Evie does everything to make him feel unwanted. I was rooting for them, but her strange and completely unexpected romance with another character came in the way. I wasn’t feeling it.

There are also chapters that switch to other POV’s, like Memphis and his brother Isaiah. Memphis had powers in the past, but he lost them after he tried to heal his mother. Isaiah is able to tell the future through his dreams and he is training with two older woman. They also have a small role where they tell that ‘The Diviners are coming’ although you still have no clue what is exactly going on at the end of this book.

That was the most frustrating thing. You read this huge book filled with characters and small peeks of information, but in the end you are just as clueless as when you started it. It also took too long before all the stories came together, so I still don’t know what role Memphis and his brother are going to play. This made the story a little slow at times. Nevertheless, a good solid book with a great setting and interesting cast. I’m up for more!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Diviners.

07/22/2014 marked as: currently-reading
07/23/2014 page 283
48.0% "I really like it :)"
07/25/2014 marked as: read