John Montgomery's Reviews > Good to Great: Why Some Companies Make the Leap... and Others Don't

Good to Great by James C. Collins

Mar 17, 12

bookshelves: great-from-the-start-bibliography
Read in February, 2002

This book should be required reading for every businessperson. It is one of my favorite business books of all time, and was life changing. I've shared this book with hundreds of people and never seem to have a copy because I'm always giving this book away. I had an epiphany in the middle of reading this book in February 2002 that started me on the journey that led to writing Great from the Start. Chapter 3 about core values and chapter 11 about how to develop a vision are especially helpful to entrepreneurs.

Collins' three circle process of developing a 'hedgehog' statement, a short, pithy statement that captures the essence of a business is a valuable tool to achieve clarity about a business' purpose. The first circle identifies what you love to do, the second is what you can be best at, the third is how you can make a living doing what you are best at and love doing. Where these circles overlap is where the magic happens. If you are ever stuck in your professional life, doing this exercise can help you gain clarity.

Jim Collins was one of my role models in writing my book. I admire his thorough, disciplined and analytical approach to writing. His work is always well-researched, grounded in fact and objective.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Good to Great.