John Montgomery's Reviews > Getting Things Done: The Art of Stress-Free Productivity

Getting Things Done by David Allen

Mar 17, 12

bookshelves: great-from-the-start-bibliography
Read in January, 2001

This is one of my favorite books of all time. I'm a big picture person who does not joyously eat details for breakfast. I work in a detail oriented profession and would not have been able to cope with the daily volume of details without using Allen's system of how to get, and stay organized. This book changed my life.

This book suggests a systematic approach for managing all of the inputs of your life - e-mail, correspondence, papers, financial records, voicemail, texts etc. - so that you are not constantly in reactive mode trying to keep up.

David also understands the psychology of behavior change. Getting organized requires new habits, which take 30-60 days to form. David shows you how to form better organizational habits as easily as possible. Each time I read the book, I adopted a few more of David's tricks and now have a system that prevents me from being overwhelmed and allows me to be more proactive.

On a deep level, this book provides the third leg of a modern guide to meditation. If one tries to tame one's thoughts and emotions without simultaneously taming the inbox and the rest of life's daily inputs, attaining inner calm will be much more difficult, if not impossible.

I can't recommend this book enough, especially to people who are not detail-oriented and organized by nature.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Getting Things Done.